Making 12V Power Less Clunky in Your Car

In summary: This is the only approach that has ever worked for me and it's not too difficult to do.In summary, you can make car 12V power less clunky by running a heavy wire from the battery to a secondary fusebox, attaching a male spade connector to the positive lead of the device, and shoving it into the box.
KingNothing
Hi...Is anyone aware of a way to make car 12V power less clunky? EVeything still seems to have massive cigarette lighter things to get power...and my car only has one of those. I need about 3 or 4. That said, how would I go about trying to make this process more streamline?

I can delve into the engine if that's what's needed.

Physics news on Phys.org
I just went to Radio Shack and bought a Multible socket outlet. We have 3 "cigarett lighter" sockets in the back seat now.

My truck came with three, one of which runs to an inverter which runs to a power strip so I have two cigarette lighter ports available and 6 wall sockets and I can drain a battery in about 1.5 minutes.

So...any solutions? (I'm aware of the possibility of just having a ton of cig sockets, but I'd need around four or five in a dodge neon...not enough space there)

this will be no help whatsoever, but once I had to fly to Chicago for a job. While I was there my company rented me a car. A hot pink Dodge Neon. You try getting lost in Calumette City in a hot pink Neon and see how comfortable you are asking for directions.

Although it might not work in your situation, my approach has been to run a heavy wire straight from the battery to a secondary fusebox (glass type fuses, not those stupid little plastic ones). Then I just crimp a male spade connector to the positive lead of the [insert device here] and shove it into the box on the downstream side of a fuse. One good grounded bolt in the vicinity will serve all of the circuits, which can be attached with roach clips, ring connectors, hook connectors, or whatever you like. Using a wing-nut on the bolt makes hook connectors really easy to put on and take off.

Last edited:

1. How can I make my car's 12V power less clunky?

One way to make your car's 12V power less clunky is to use a power inverter. This device converts the 12V DC power from your car's battery into 120V AC power, allowing you to use household electronics in your car without the need for bulky adapters.

2. Can I upgrade my car's alternator to improve the 12V power?

Yes, you can upgrade your car's alternator to increase the power output. This will provide more consistent and stable power to your car's electrical system, reducing the clunkiness of the 12V power.

3. Is there a way to reduce the number of wires and cords in my car?

One solution is to use a power strip with built-in USB ports. This allows you to charge multiple devices at once, reducing the need for multiple cords and adapters.

4. How can I keep my car's 12V power from draining my battery?

To prevent draining your car's battery, it is important to use high-quality and efficient electronics. Additionally, using a power inverter with an automatic shut-off feature can help conserve power when your car is not running.

5. Can I install a separate battery for my car's 12V power?

Yes, you can install a separate deep cycle battery specifically for your car's 12V power needs. This will help prevent draining your car's main battery and provide a more stable power source for your electronics.