1905 Special Relativity theory Time dilation

• Thread starter David
  • Start date
Thanks for your replies; I'll try and figure it out!

On a similar vein, I wonder if you could clarify a few points...

Do clocks (or whatever we choose to measure time with) slow down increasingly with greater acceleration?

If so, is this only in areas of curved space or do the same rules apply out in the flat regions of interstellar emptiness (i.e. where mass hasn't warped space)?

Do we humans age at a slower rate in a gravity well than in regions of non-warped space?

If so, if we could 'un-warp' space around us (so that we were cocooned in a bubble of flat space) would we observe our Earthly surroundings moving in slow-motion?

Thanks for bearing with me.
:smile:

russ_watters
Mentor
Originally posted by THE[>U<]DUDE
Do clocks (or whatever we choose to measure time with) slow down increasingly with greater acceleration?
No- with greater speed.
Do we humans age at a slower rate in a gravity well than in regions of non-warped space?
Simple answer: yes. Complicated answer: no, we age at the same rate, but TIME ITSELF advances slower, causing us to APPEAR to age slower to an observer in a lower gravitational potential.
If so, if we could 'un-warp' space around us (so that we were cocooned in a bubble of flat space) would we observe our Earthly surroundings moving in slow-motion?
Sure, but before we can create a negative gravitational field (if such a thing even exists), we need to figure out how to create a positive one. An easier way would be to just fly to a place of low gravitational potential. A Legrange point for example.