1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1LoT, heat needed to raise the temperature of oxygen.

1. Jan 22, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A container holds 1.50 g of oxygen at a pressure of 9.00 atm.

How much heat is required to increase the temperature by 108^\circ C at constant pressure?

C_p (specific heat of oxygen for an Isobaric process) = 29.2

2. Relevant equations

1LoT for Isobaric process.
    Q=n * C_p * delta T

3. The attempt at a solution

So, plugging things in, with 1.5/16 to get the mols, got me to 295.65J. Plugging this in to the online homework system gave me a 'WRONG'. So trying different degrees for different sigfigs and rounding gave me nothing. So finally, it just gave me the answer... which was 148J, or almost exactly half of my calculations.

So this leaves me with one of two issues. Either I plainly forgot something which was a divide by two, or the answer is half of what it should be. I want to know if I missed something big for two reasons:
    A. So I don't do it again.
    B. In case I am right, I can challenge my grade on this.

On a side note, I haven't been here for a long time, so what is used these days to put in equations in the 'pretty format'. Is it still LaTex of something like that?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2009 #2

Homework Helper

While converting in to mol, consider one molecule of oxygen, and its molecular weight is 32.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?