1LoT, heat needed to raise the temperature of oxygen.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 6K views
lawtonfogle
Messages
159
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A container holds 1.50 g of oxygen at a pressure of 9.00 atm.

How much heat is required to increase the temperature by 108^\circ C at constant pressure?

C_p (specific heat of oxygen for an Isobaric process) = 29.2


Homework Equations



1LoT for Isobaric process.
Q=n * C_p * delta T



The Attempt at a Solution



So, plugging things in, with 1.5/16 to get the mols, got me to 295.65J. Plugging this into the online homework system gave me a 'WRONG'. So trying different degrees for different sigfigs and rounding gave me nothing. So finally, it just gave me the answer... which was 148J, or almost exactly half of my calculations.

So this leaves me with one of two issues. Either I plainly forgot something which was a divide by two, or the answer is half of what it should be. I want to know if I missed something big for two reasons:
A. So I don't do it again.
B. In case I am right, I can challenge my grade on this.

On a side note, I haven't been here for a long time, so what is used these days to put in equations in the 'pretty format'. Is it still LaTex of something like that?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
While converting into mol, consider one molecule of oxygen, and its molecular weight is 32.