1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2 complex roots 2nd ODE, did I mess up finding a constant?

1. Feb 16, 2006 #1
    It is me again, 2 problems later I ran into another problem, i've submitted it a few different times but still is incorrect. Anyone see my mistake? I entered this as the answer:
    [​IMG]

Here is the problem:
    Find y as a function of t if
    81y'' + 126y' + 79y = 0,
    y(0) = 2, y'(0) = 9 .
    y =

Here is my work:
    [​IMG]

Any help would be fantastical.
    :biggrin:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2006 #2
    Hmm...I got [tex]B=\frac{95}{\sqrt{30}}[/tex] but I could have made a mistake. I think there is a mistake in your differentiation. Check it again. I can see that you have multiplied in the 7 coming from differentiation of the exponential, but what happened to the 9? Remember that [tex]\frac{d}{dt}e^{-\frac{7}{9}t}=-\frac{7}{9}e^{-\frac{7}{9}t}[/tex].

4. Feb 16, 2006 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I find that working through a problem twice is usually a good way to catch arithmetic errors. Unless you are suffering from a systematic misunderstanding, you will usually not make the same mistake twice.

5. Feb 16, 2006 #4
    Ahh yes, i did it again and got the same answer as you did assyrian, thanks a ton! [​IMG]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?