2 complex roots 2nd ODE, did I mess up finding a constant?

In summary, the problem discussed is finding y as a function of t if 81y'' + 126y' + 79y = 0, with initial conditions y(0) = 2 and y'(0) = 9. The user has already submitted the problem multiple times but is still getting an incorrect answer. After some discussion and checking for mistakes, it is determined that the error was in the differentiation step, specifically not including the 9 in the calculation. After correcting the error, the correct answer of B=\frac{95}{\sqrt{30}} is obtained. The importance of checking for arithmetic errors is emphasized.
mr_coffee
It is me again, 2 problems later I ran into another problem, I've submitted it a few different times but still is incorrect. Anyone see my mistake? I entered this as the answer:
http://cwcsrv11.cwc.psu.edu/webwork2_files/tmp/equations/a0/13092fac04d4a01ec22b57e193ed051.png

Here is the problem:
Find y as a function of t if
81y'' + 126y' + 79y = 0,
y(0) = 2, y'(0) = 9 .
y =

Here is my work:
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/9167/lastscan5tu.jpg

Any help would be fantastical.
:biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm...I got [tex]B=\frac{95}{\sqrt{30}}[/tex] but I could have made a mistake. I think there is a mistake in your differentiation. Check it again. I can see that you have multiplied in the 7 coming from differentiation of the exponential, but what happened to the 9? Remember that [tex]\frac{d}{dt}e^{-\frac{7}{9}t}=-\frac{7}{9}e^{-\frac{7}{9}t}[/tex].

I find that working through a problem twice is usually a good way to catch arithmetic errors. Unless you are suffering from a systematic misunderstanding, you will usually not make the same mistake twice.

Ahh yes, i did it again and got the same answer as you did assyrian, thanks a ton! http://cwcsrv11.cwc.psu.edu/webwork2_files/tmp/equations/bb/6a9d9ea040028c2ece7c021178bc261.png

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What does "2 complex roots" mean in the context of a 2nd order differential equation?

When solving a 2nd order differential equation, the solutions can sometimes involve complex numbers. This means that the roots of the equation are not real numbers, but rather involve the imaginary unit, i (the square root of -1).

2. How can I tell if I have correctly found the complex roots of a 2nd order differential equation?

You can check your solutions by plugging them back into the original equation. If they satisfy the equation, then you have correctly found the complex roots.

3. What happens if I make a mistake when finding the constant in a 2nd order differential equation with complex roots?

If you make a mistake when finding the constant, your solutions will not satisfy the original equation. This means that you will need to go back and check your work to find the error and correct it.

4. Are complex roots common in 2nd order differential equations?

It depends on the specific equation and initial conditions. In general, complex roots are less common than real roots, but they can still occur.

5. How do complex roots affect the overall solution to a 2nd order differential equation?

Complex roots will result in a solution that involves both real and imaginary parts. This means that the solution will have a sinusoidal behavior, oscillating between positive and negative values. Graphically, this will result in a spiral shape rather than a smooth curve.