Understanding Empirical Formulas & Ions: 2 Questions Answered

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of writing empirical formulas and understanding the properties of elements to lose or accept electrons. The empirical formula is the simplest ratio of atoms in a compound, with examples being CH3 for C2H6 and Al for Al. The formation of cations or anions is not dependent on the number of electrons in an atom, but rather the nature of the element as a metal or non-metal. Consulting the periodic table is enough to understand these properties.
omni
2 Questions please

hello.
i need help to Understand how can i Write Empirical formula for Al or in general how to Write Empirical formula?

2)i also need help to Understand how can i know what Ion i will get from Ba and P ?

i think for ba is will be Negative because there more Electron. but i dosen't understand it very well.

hope u can help me.

Physics news on Phys.org

Empirical formula is the simplest ratio of number of atoms in the compound.
For a compound C2H6, the empirical formula is CH3
Al is a single atom. Its empirical formula will be same i.e. Al

Formation of cation or anion does not depends on the number of electrons in atom. As Ba is metal it has property to lose electron. It will form cation while P is non-metal is accept electron. It will form anion.

hi thanks for ur Answers but i mean Al and N Together.

In General how can i know what element is property to lose electron and what element is accept electron ?

there is any rule for it?
thanks.

omni said:
hi thanks for ur Answers but i mean Al and N Together.

Al and N what?

In General how can i know what element is property to lose electron and what element is accept electron ?

there is any rule for it?

It is enough to consult periodic table.

ok i Understand.

thanks to all.

1. What is an empirical formula?

An empirical formula is a representation of the simplest ratio of atoms in a compound. It shows the relative number of each type of atom present in a compound.

2. How do you determine the empirical formula of a compound?

The empirical formula can be determined by first finding the mass or moles of each element present in the compound. Then, divide each value by the smallest value obtained. The resulting values will represent the subscripts in the empirical formula.