1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2BH3(g)->B2H6(g) reaction help

1. Feb 15, 2014 #1
    2BH3(g)->B2H6(g)

Which is true?
    a)The reaction is always non spontaneous.
    b) The reaction is always spontaneous.
    c) The reaction is sometimes spontaneous and sometimes not.
    d)The reaction is endothermic.
    e) two of the statements are right.

I know that deltaSsystem is negative. (Less gas molecules formed)
    How do I do the rest?!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2014 #2

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

You're on the right track thinking about the ΔS of the reaction. But there is another quantity, related to ΔS that tells you whether a reaction is spontaneous or not. What is that quantity and what other information do you need to calculate it?

4. May 9, 2014 #3
    We cannot have access to these ressources in exams. We should do it without references. Can we say for sure that the reaction is exothermic since the reaction is a synthesis reaction?

5. May 9, 2014 #4

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

If I had to guess, I would guess the reaction would be exothermic because it involves forming new bonds (almost always exothermic) without having to break any existing bonds. However, diborane is a sufficiently weird compound that I would not trust that inutition without looking up the heats of formation.

6. May 10, 2014 #5

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook