1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2D or 3D vector problem?

1. Sep 17, 2009 #1
    2D or 3D vector problem??

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the vector product of Vector A cross Vector B(expressed in unit vectors) of the two vectors. What is the magnitude of the vector product?

2. Relevant equations
    Vector A= 5.00i + 2.00j
    Vector B= 3.00i - 1.00j

3. The attempt at a solution

I know how to get the dot product of the two, but how do I find the cross product??

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2009 #2
    Re: 2D or 3D vector problem??

This vector problem is 2D. You don't have a k component to represent the third dimension.

The cross product can be evaluated by

U x V = |U||V| * sin(angle between U and V)

|U| this means the "magnitude of U".

Hope that helps.

Thanks
    Matt

4. Sep 17, 2009 #3

The answer says -17.0k and 17.0. So shouldn't this mean it's a 3D problem? My teacher never taught me this in class and gave us 2 vector problems like this.

5. Sep 17, 2009 #4

No this is not a 3D problem. Where could the third dimension come from? The answers are equal and opposite in magnitude, that doesn't mean there is a third dimension.

What is your attempt at the solution? Can you find the magnitudes of the Vector A and Vector B?

Thanks
    Matt

6. Sep 17, 2009 #5

The magnitude of vector a is 5.38, vector b 3.16. I calculated the angle between the two to be 40.2 degrees. So I took ABsin(40.2) and got my answer is 11.0. The answer in the back says -17.0k, 17.0. I'm confused.. Is the book wrong or me?

7. Sep 17, 2009 #6

Nevermind, I solved it.

8. Sep 17, 2009 #7

Good then, hope I helped you out.

Thanks
    Matt

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook