2nd-Order Non-homogeneous Differential Equations

In summary, the author is trying to solve for y(t) using a differential equation and doesn't understand why the third term is missing. They provide a brief explanation of the Green's function method and how it works conceptually.
the_dialogue
Hello,
I would like some help solving the following differential equation:
[tex] \frac{d^2 y(t)}{dt^2} + \lambda ^2 y(t) = F(t)[/tex]

In my document, it is solved in this form, but I do not understand how or why:
[tex] y(t) = A cos(\lambda t) + B sin(\lambda t) + \int_0^t F(t) sin\lambda (t-\tau ) \,d\tau. [/tex]I can understand how to solve for the first two terms (A and B), using the initial conditions. But where in the world is the third term from? In fact in the text they write,

[tex] \frac{F(t) \ast sin\lambda }{\lambda} [/tex] where the asterisk, I suppose, means the integration??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think the * is the notation for the convolution of F and the sine function, which is what that integral is. If you solve the equation by LaPlace transforms you will probably see where it comes from.

I see. So now I'm trying to find the inverse transform of the following:

L{F(t)} / (s^2 + d^2)

where d is a constant.

How do I go about solving this and obtaining the convolution solution?

Last edited:
the_dialogue said:
But what is the laplace transform of a generic function like "F(t)"? Do I leave that as L{F(t)} until the end, and then...?

Thank you for the help provided already.

Just call if f(s). Remember that when you take inverses, if you have a product like f(s)φ(s), the inverse will be a convolution of the inverse of f(s), which is F(t) and the inverse of φ(s), whatever that is in your equation.

I haven't actually worked it but, hey, it is my best guess and it's your problem :wink:

Oh I see! Thank you very much.

And I suppose the mathematical expansion of "convolution" is the integral mentioned in the first post. Thank you!

That's what I would expect. Good luck, sack time here.

You might also want to look up Green's functions.

Your convolution integral is a little bit off. The convolution of two functions f and g is

[tex] f*g=\int_{-\infty}^\infty f(\tau)g(\tau-t) d\tau[/tex]

The limits in your integral are probably due to boundary conditions, but the arguments of the functions in the integrand are definitely wrong.

Yes just caught that. Thanks also.

Will Green's functions offer a better alternative to this solution method?

This method is the Green's function method.

Conceptually, the Green's function is the response of the system to a unit impulse. The forcing function F(t) can be thought of as a train of scaled impulses, each resulting in a response. The convolution integral sums all of the responses. By the principle of superposition, the sum is the response of the system to F(t).

1. What is a 2nd-Order Non-homogeneous Differential Equation?

A 2nd-Order Non-homogeneous Differential Equation is a type of mathematical equation that involves a second derivative of an unknown function, as well as other terms that are not related to the function itself. These other terms are known as "non-homogeneous" terms.

2. How is a 2nd-Order Non-homogeneous Differential Equation different from a 2nd-Order Homogeneous Differential Equation?

In a 2nd-Order Homogeneous Differential Equation, all terms are related to the unknown function, whereas in a non-homogeneous equation, there are additional terms that are not related to the function. This can make the solution more complex and may require the use of specific techniques such as variation of parameters or undetermined coefficients.

3. What are the applications of 2nd-Order Non-homogeneous Differential Equations?

2nd-Order Non-homogeneous Differential Equations have many real-world applications, such as modeling vibrations in mechanical systems, population growth in biology, and electrical circuits in engineering. They are also commonly used in physics and economics.

4. How do you solve a 2nd-Order Non-homogeneous Differential Equation?

There are several techniques for solving 2nd-Order Non-homogeneous Differential Equations, including undetermined coefficients, variation of parameters, and Laplace transforms. The specific method used depends on the form of the equation and the initial conditions given.

5. What are the initial conditions in a 2nd-Order Non-homogeneous Differential Equation?

The initial conditions in a 2nd-Order Non-homogeneous Differential Equation are the values of the unknown function and its derivative at a specific point. These conditions are necessary to find a unique solution to the equation.