2nd year Calculus: partial derivatives

In summary, the student is having difficulty solving the homework equation and needs help. Any help would be appreciated.
gcfve

Homework Statement

See attatched image.

Homework Equations

I just don't know where to start...

The Attempt at a Solution

Any help would be appreciated! :)

Attachments

• cal3.jpg
    cal3.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 432
Physics news on Phys.org
images don't clear for a while, try writing the problem for a quicker reply

there's tips on using tex floating around or just click on other etex to see how its written

If u=f(x,y), where x=escos(t) and y=essin(t), show that:
second derivative of u wrt x + second derivative of u wrt y = e-2s(second derivative of u wrt s + second derivative of u wrt t)

Is this the question?
[tex]\frac{\partial^2u}{\partial x^2} + \frac{\partial^2u}{\partial y^2}[/tex]
[tex]=~e^{-2s}(\frac{\partial^2u}{\partial s^2} + \frac{\partial^2u}{\partial t^2})[/tex]

Do you know the form of the chain rule for multivariable functions? If so, start by taking the partials of u w. r. t. x and y, and then take the partials of the first with respect to x and of the second with respect to y, then add them together.

Ok, well I got :
[tex]\frac{\partial^2u}{\partial x^2}[/tex] =-2essin(t) and

[tex] \frac{\partial^2u}{\partial y^2}[/tex] = 2escos(t)

So what do you get for
[tex]\frac{\partial^2u}{\partial s^2}[/tex]
and
[tex]\frac{\partial^2u}{\partial t^2}[/tex]

well, from the formula,
[tex](\frac{\partial^2u}{\partial s^2} + \frac{\partial^2u}{\partial t^2})[/tex] should = 2e3s(cos(t) - sin(t))
But I still don't understant how to get to the partails wrt s and t
I have u=f(x,y) so u=f(escost,essin t)

So u is a function of x and y, and x and y are each functions of s and t. Here's the form of the chain rule for one of the partials you need.

[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial s}~=~\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial s} + \frac{\partial u}{\partial y}\frac{\partial y}{\partial s} [/tex]

The other partial derivative is very similar, but any partial with respect to s should be with respect to t.

Ok, well when I tried to do that I got answerd without sin and cos in them.. is what i did so far right?
and is there a formula for finding the second partials wrt s and t?

1. What are partial derivatives in 2nd year Calculus?

Partial derivatives in 2nd year Calculus refer to the method of finding the rate of change of a multivariable function with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant.

2. Why are partial derivatives important?

Partial derivatives are important because they allow us to analyze how a multivariable function changes in different directions and to optimize such functions.

3. How do you find partial derivatives?

To find a partial derivative, we use the same rules as finding derivatives in single variable calculus, but we only take the derivative with respect to the variable we are interested in and treat all other variables as constant.

4. What is the difference between a partial derivative and a total derivative?

A partial derivative measures the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant. A total derivative, on the other hand, measures the overall rate of change of a function with respect to all of its variables.

5. How are partial derivatives used in real life?

Partial derivatives are used in various fields such as economics, physics, and engineering to analyze and optimize multivariable functions. For example, in economics, partial derivatives are used to find the optimal production levels for a company with multiple inputs.