3 phase equipment on 1 phase supply

In summary: The machine is a Miller Spectrum 701. The power is 220 volts.The machine is a 3 phase plasma cutter. It converts to DC and has a transformer. It is high power and not suitable for domestic supplies. If you try to convert to single phase it is not possible and the power is too high for a domestic supply. There is a way to convert to single phase without a transformer but it is expensive and I don't know how to do it.
Ca$h
I was given a 3 phase plasma cutter (no motor in machine only transformers)and my garage is only 1 phase. I have been doing a little research on converting 1 phase to 3 phase but it is just to expensive for my budget! I did come across an article that suggested that is can be done without a phase converter. It was talking about a "sub-phase" not really sure how it works. I do know that a normal 3 phase separation is 120º and with 220v a/c the phase separation is 180º it said that with the "sub-phase" has a 90º phase separation. It does however lower the efficiency of the machine. That I can live with. If anyone knows a way I could do this I would be very thankful.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Maybe you could have your electric utility bring three phase to you. Very expensive also probably. Other than that you are probably out of luck.

What power is the machine?

What is make and part number? Is there a circuit diagram?

If it converts to DC and has a transformer you might be able to rewire it for single phase OR rebuild the power supply with a single phase transformer.

3-phase machines tend to be high power and too much for domestic supplies.

I have been told the reason a lot of 3-phase plasma cutters are 3-phase is because when the are full-wave rectified they have a very smooth output with little ripple since all of the phases tend to overlap. Naturally current requirements per phase will also be less than single phase.

The Plasma cutter is a Miller Spectrum 701. I do have the operating manual that has the a circuit diagram.

If you have an unused three phase induction motor, you can produce an approx three phase system by using of one single phase source.

For a short discussion you can refer to Machine question No.19 from http://electrical-riddles.com.

You can make or buy a rotary phase converter, which is what msj suggests, but I have been told they don't balance the phases very well. There are also solid state phase converters which, like a VFD, chop the input signal to DC, then rebuild it to what you need. They aren't cheap, though.

Here's one: http://www.phaseperfect.com/

Looks like it does come in a single phase version. A single phase transformer may be available. It is not partucularly high power 6.5 - 7.5 kW so I don't know why they bother with 3 phase.

If the transfomer is a Y (Delta) input it may be possible to strap all the phases to 'live' and connect the centre point of the transformer to neutral. Maybe try one, two and all three phases. If it does seem to work check that the transfomer does not run too hot.

If you try it you must have an RCD (earth fault trip breaker) and a suitably low current circuit breaker and/or fuse in circuit. IF ANY DOUBT DONT.

The reason they use 3 phase is as I stated in my previous post. Less regulation and filtering is required after the rectifiers when using 3 phase since the voltage never falls to zero.

1. What is 3 phase equipment and how does it differ from single phase equipment?

3 phase equipment refers to electrical equipment that uses three alternating currents to operate, compared to single phase equipment which uses only one alternating current. The use of three phases allows for a more efficient and powerful energy transfer, making it ideal for industrial and high-power applications.

2. Can 3 phase equipment be used on a 1 phase supply?

Technically, yes, 3 phase equipment can be used on a 1 phase supply. However, it will not operate at its full capacity and may cause damage or malfunction. It is always recommended to use 3 phase equipment on a 3 phase supply for optimal performance and safety.

3. How can 3 phase equipment be converted to work on a 1 phase supply?

Converting 3 phase equipment to work on a 1 phase supply is not a simple task and requires the expertise of a trained electrician. It typically involves installing a phase converter or rewiring the equipment to function on a single phase supply. It is important to consult a professional before attempting any conversions.

4. Is it possible to use a single phase supply for a 3 phase motor?

No, it is not possible to use a single phase supply for a 3 phase motor. These types of motors require 3 phase power to operate, and attempting to run them on a single phase supply can cause severe damage. It is important to ensure that the motor is compatible with the power supply before use.

5. What are the advantages of using 3 phase equipment on a 1 phase supply?

The main advantage of using 3 phase equipment on a 1 phase supply is cost savings. 3 phase power is typically more expensive to install and maintain, so using a 1 phase supply can be more cost-effective. Additionally, 3 phase equipment can still function on a 1 phase supply, albeit at a reduced capacity, making it a more flexible option in certain situations.