Is there a standard equation for a 4 by 4 inverse?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the existence of a standard equation for a 4 by 4 inverse matrix. The speaker suggests creating an explicit formula based on the lower dimensional cases, and provides a link for the general analytic solution for invertible matrices. The requester plans to find the formula on their own.
HF08
Inquiry:

Is there a standard equation for a 4 by 4 inverse? I know that one exists for 3 by 3, 2 by 2, but I cannot find one in my text nor in my searches online. I know I could find one by using the Jordan-Gaussian Method. But, I would be more comfortable with knowing a 4 by 4 general method/equation. I plan on doing a lot of inverses for a 4 by 4.

If you know of any resources, please help me. Also, if I should find this on my own by scratch, please help me.

Thank You,
HF08

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you should probably create an explicit formula on your own. You don't find it listed just because it's lengthy to write down. But it should be an obvious extension of the lower dimensional cases. It's a matrix of the determinants of the minors of the nxn matrix divided by the determinant of the whole matrix.

Thanks

Dick said:
Yes, you should probably create an explicit formula on your own. You don't find it listed just because it's lengthy to write down. But it should be an obvious extension of the lower dimensional cases. It's a matrix of the determinants of the minors of the nxn matrix divided by the determinant of the whole matrix.

Can you please provide some links to the n = 2 and n = 3 cases please? After that, I'll do the rest on my own. Thanks.

HFO8

What is a 4 by 4 inverse matrix?

A 4 by 4 inverse matrix is a mathematical concept that involves a square matrix with 4 rows and 4 columns. The inverse matrix is the matrix that, when multiplied by the original matrix, results in the identity matrix. It is used to solve systems of linear equations and has many practical applications in fields such as engineering and physics.

How is a 4 by 4 inverse matrix calculated?

To calculate a 4 by 4 inverse matrix, various methods can be used, such as the Gauss-Jordan elimination method or the LU decomposition method. These methods involve performing a series of mathematical operations on the original matrix to transform it into its inverse form.

Why is a 4 by 4 inverse matrix important?

A 4 by 4 inverse matrix is important because it allows us to solve systems of linear equations that would otherwise be difficult or impossible to solve. It is also used in various scientific and engineering applications, such as in computer graphics, signal processing, and optimization problems.

What are the properties of a 4 by 4 inverse matrix?

A 4 by 4 inverse matrix has several important properties, including the fact that its determinant is not equal to zero, and its inverse is unique. It also follows the associative and distributive properties of matrix multiplication, and the inverse of an inverse matrix is the original matrix.

What are some common mistakes when working with 4 by 4 inverse matrices?

One common mistake when working with 4 by 4 inverse matrices is forgetting to check if the determinant is equal to zero before attempting to calculate the inverse. Another mistake is not properly following the steps of the chosen method for calculating the inverse, leading to incorrect results. It is also important to ensure that the original matrix is square and has the correct dimensions for an inverse to exist.