Questions on Fluids, Gravity, Inertia, and Friction

In summary: pressure is a scalar because you can't have a directional vector (like you can with stress) for a scalar quantity.
ritwik06
My doubts:
1. Why doesn't the time period of a simple pendulum depend either on mass or on the magnitude of amplitude?

2.Why is pressure regardeed as a scalar quantity?

I can't say anything about the first question. But about the second I'll share my views. Pressure = Force/ Area : Force is vector and 1/Area is scalar. So their product should be a vector. There was one more question regarding this in my book, A very thin foil of a metal is placed at a certan depth in water. My book states that it will remain in that position (it will niether rise up nor will sink down) because pressure acts on both sides is equal in magnitude but opp. in direction. If pressure has a direction, then why is it scalar? This is really confusing.

3. For fluids the magnitude of pressure is given by hdg. Why isn't it applicable for solids?

For solids as well: A*h*d*g/A =Pressure.

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first question, do you know how period is defined? and what is the angular frequency of a simple pendulum?

For the 2nd question, in short pressure is a scalar because of having no direction unlike its twin by units stress (a tensor). This has to deal mostly with how we define pressure. If you have a body and you have a normal vector to its surface, which magnitude is the area of finitessimal segment of the body, and you apply a force on the segment, pressure can be defined as:

[tex] P = \frac{\vec{F} \cdot \vec{A}}{A^2} [/tex]

Cyclovenom said:
For the first question, do you know how period is defined? and what is the angular frequency of a simple pendulum?

For the 2nd question, in short pressure is a scalar because of having no direction unlike its twin by units stress (a tensor). This has to deal mostly with how we define pressure. If you have a body and you have a normal vector to its surface, which magnitude is the area of finitessimal segment of the body, and you apply a force on the segment, pressure can be defined as:

Time period(T) is the time taken by a simple pendulum to complete one oscillation.
Angular frequency =(2*pi)/T

Well, what's the definition of pressure according to you?
If you have a body and you have a normal vector to its surface, which magnitude is the area of finitessimal segment of the body, and you apply a force on the segment, pressure can be defined as:

I can't understand. Please use some simple words so that I can grasp easily.

Last edited:
More questions...
1. Which is more accurate stop watch or a stop clock?
My view: Stop watch, becoz it has a lower L.C.
2. Quote from my textbook:
A one dimensional motion can be represented parallel to the x-axis if x-axis is taken in the direction of motion. Then only the x coordinate of the moving particle will vary with time.
My correction: Then only the y coordinate of the moving particle will vary with time!
3. Example of my book:
For example rain drops reach on Earth's surface falling with uniform velocity.
My correction: uniform acceleration! am i right?

A one dimensional motion can be represented parallel to the x-axis if x-axis is taken in the direction of motion. Then only the x coordinate of the moving particle will vary with time.

My correction: Then only the y coordinate of the moving particle will vary with time!

Wrong. If the motion is parallel to the x-axis then the y coordinate is constant, by definition.

For example rain drops reach on Earth's surface falling with uniform velocity

My correction: uniform acceleration! am i right?

Wrong. (Well OK, if you are being pedantic, the accleration is zero, which is "uniform"). You forgot about the drag force caused by the viscosity of the air.

ritwik06 said:
My doubts:
1. Why doesn't the time period of a simple pendulum depend either on mass or on the magnitude of amplitude?

It doesn't depend on the mass, because the force of gravity on the pendulum is proportional to the mass, so the accleration of the pendulum = force/mass is independent of the mass.

The period does depend on the amplitude for large amplitudes. for small amplitudes it is approximately constant.

2.Why is pressure regardeed as a scalar quantity?

I can't say anything about the first question. But about the second I'll share my views. Pressure = Force/ Area : Force is vector and 1/Area is scalar. So their product should be a vector.

No, in the context area is also a vector. The force caused by a pressure is always normal to the area you are considering. (People who know about tensors are free to nit-pick about that statement if they want, but from the questions I guess the OP doesn't know about tensors).

Force = Pressure * Area, Force and Area are vectors, therefore Pressure is a scalar.

A very thin foil of a metal is placed at a certan depth in water. My book states that it will remain in that position (it will niether rise up nor will sink down) because pressure acts on both sides is equal in magnitude but opp. in direction. If pressure has a direction, then why is it scalar?

See above - but the statement that the foil will neither rise up nor sink down is complete nonsense, and if what the book says implies this only works at one particular depth, it's very misleading nonsense. Maybe you should burn the book.

3. For fluids the magnitude of pressure is given by hdg. Why isn't it applicable for solids?

It is applicable to solids. Why do you think it doesn't apply to solids?

However, often the pressure in a solid caused by its own weight is small compared with the other forces acting on it, so the pressure effects can be ignored.

ritwik06 said:
I can't understand. Please use some simple words so that I can grasp easily.

That formula says that the force that counts for the pressure is only the normal (perpendicular) part of the vector, and that only its modulus if of interest.

Side commentary, IMO, the given definition of pressure at a point in most textbooks lacks an explanation of why the orientation of the surface whose area if infinitesimally small doesn't affects the defined pressure.

Thanks a lot...

For a freely falling body under gravity:
1.Why does the slope of S vs. t^2 gives g/2? Why not g itself?
2.Does the graph exhibit linear relationship?
I have studied that the slope of a velocity time graphy gives the acceleration directly. Now when we make a graph for S vs. t^2 from a graph of velocity-time for a freely falling body. So why does the slope of the graph obtained gives g/2?

Why is inertia called an inherent property?

According to third law of motion, specify the action and reaction while hammering a nail.
Action is hammering but what's the reaction?

Why is the force of friction independent of the area of the 2 surfaces in contact? Name a subtance used for coating to reduce friction. Is it paint?

What is meant by uniform magnetic field?

These were some other questions which came to my mind while reading my textbook. Please help!

Last edited:

What is the best method for solving 9th homework doubts?

The best method for solving 9th homework doubts is to first carefully read and understand the question. Then, try to break down the question into smaller parts and solve each part individually. If you are still stuck, try asking a classmate or teacher for help. It is also helpful to review any notes or class materials related to the topic.

How can I improve my problem-solving skills for 9th homework doubts?

One way to improve your problem-solving skills for 9th homework doubts is to practice regularly. The more problems you solve, the more familiar you will become with different types of questions and the better you will become at finding solutions. Additionally, it can be helpful to approach problems from different angles and think outside the box to find alternative solutions.

What should I do if I am still struggling with a 9th homework doubt after trying multiple methods?

If you are still struggling with a 9th homework doubt after trying multiple methods, it is important to ask for help. This can be from a teacher, tutor, or classmate. It is also helpful to communicate your thought process and the methods you have tried to the person helping you. This will allow them to better understand your approach and provide targeted assistance.

Can I use online resources to help me solve 9th homework doubts?

Yes, there are many online resources available to help you solve 9th homework doubts. These can include educational websites, tutorial videos, and online forums where you can ask for help from other students or teachers. Just be sure to double-check the accuracy of the information you find and use it as a supplement to your own problem-solving process.

How can I avoid getting overwhelmed when solving 9th homework doubts?

To avoid getting overwhelmed when solving 9th homework doubts, it is important to manage your time effectively. Break down your tasks into smaller, manageable chunks and take breaks when needed. It can also be helpful to prioritize your assignments and tackle the most difficult ones first. Don't be afraid to ask for help and remember to take care of your mental and physical well-being.