1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A couple questions,

1. Sep 18, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Question 1:During a walk on the Moon, an astronaut accidentally drops his camera over a 13.8 m cliff. It leaves his hands with zero speed, and after 2.2 s it has attained a velocity of 3.3 m/s downward. How far has the camera fallen after 3.9 s?

Question 2: A stone is launched straight up by a slingshot. Its initial speed is 18.8 m/s and the stone is 1.7 m above the ground when launched. (a) How high above the ground does the stone rise? (b) How much time elapses before the stone hits the ground?

Question 3:A 1.6-kg ball tied to a string fixed to the ceiling is pulled to one side by a force to an angle of 34.2° from the ceiling. The force is pulling the ball directly right.
    Just before the ball is released and allowed to swing back and forth, (a) how large is the force that is holding the ball in position and (b) what is the tension in the string?

2. Relevant equations

question 1: I do believe i use basic equation of vy = v0y ayt and y = y0 + v0yt + 1/2 ayt2

Question 2: Same as Question 1..

Question 3: Tension = ma + mg

3. The attempt at a solution

Question 1: I tried to get the total distance it went for the first 2.2 seconds and tried to get the rest using the 3.9 seconds, but apparently its wrong.

Question 2: I tried to get time of how long it is in the air and used that to get the distance, but i keep getting wrong answers..

Quesiton3 : Im actually kinda clueless on question 3 so help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2008 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

What is the acceleration from moon's gravity given by the information in the problem. Then once you have acceleration you have distance from 1/2 a t2

4. Sep 18, 2008 #3
    Acutally not sure as its not given

5. Sep 18, 2008 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Calculate it then.

6. Sep 18, 2008 #5
    Sorry, but how do i get the gravity for the moon? Im checking my physic book, but i cant get some value to get the graivty.

7. Sep 18, 2008 #6

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

The information the problem gives you allows you to calculate it.

8. Sep 18, 2008 #7
    I dont see how i can calculate it with the information i have

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?