A derivation in Stoner's "The Demagnetizing Factors for Ellipsoids"

In summary, the conversation discusses a paper about electromagnetism and the demagnetizing factor. The speaker points out a typo in one of the equations and asks for clarification on another. They also mention their interest in studying E&M concepts and express their frustration with the high cost of scientific papers. The expert summarizer notes the inconsistency in the paper and mentions their own plans to study the subject further.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
In the attachment in eq. (1.6) I don't understand why is ##H-B = B/(1-D)##?

Where does this relation come from?

Attachments

• stoner.png
    stoner.png
    64.7 KB · Views: 490
Physics news on Phys.org
##H=-D(B-H) ##. They got that part right. Let's do some algebra: ##H(1-D)=-DB ##, so that ##H=\frac{-DB}{1-D} ##. Their last equation of 1.6 needs a minus sign. ## \\ ## Note: Equation 1.6 assumes the applied magnetic field ## H_a## is zero. ## \\ ## And I also checked equation 1.7, and it is correct.

Last edited:
Likes Delta2 and MathematicalPhysicist
To tell you the truth I wasn't sure it's implied from the same relation in (1.6).
I thought to myself that it was some relation from previous work or somewhere else in the article.

Now that I see that's a simple matter of algebra I feel so stupid... D-:

Likes Charles Link
The author did have a "typo" in equation 1.6 (missing the minus sign). I'm glad you posted it. IMO more people should be studying E&M concepts such as the demagnetizing factor. We could use more E&M postings.:smile:

Likes Delta2 and dRic2
I kept on reading the paper.
On page 11 in the following attachment in eq. (4.11a) for ##D_a## after the first equality should it be ##3/4\mu^4 \ln (2m)## or as it is written there?
I am asking since after the second equality they write it as ##3/4 \mu^4 \ln (2m)##.
stoner2.png

It looks to me like it should be 3/2, but I would have to see the previous page. Clearly they have an inconsistency there.

It isn't discussed in the previous page.

You can find the article in sci-hub. (I know it's not really legal, but also making ordinary people who are interested in science pay lots of money for papers in science is a rip off).

Likes Charles Link
Charles Link said:
It looks to me like it should be 3/2, but I would have to see the previous page. Clearly they have an inconsistency there.
Hi @Charles Link have you kept on reading this article, perhaps?

I plan to return to Ashcroft and Mermin and Kittel's books once more for my Condensed Matter Physics I, hopefully now I will ace it in this summer! :oldcry:

Likes Charles Link
MathematicalPhysicist said:
Hi @Charles Link have you kept on reading this article, perhaps?
No, I didn't do any additional reading of it.

1. What is Stoner's "The Demagnetizing Factors for Ellipsoids"?

Stoner's "The Demagnetizing Factors for Ellipsoids" is a scientific paper published in 1938 by physicist Edmund Clifton Stoner. It discusses the mathematical derivation of the demagnetizing factors for ellipsoids, which are used in the study of magnetism and magnetic materials.

2. Why is the study of demagnetizing factors important?

The study of demagnetizing factors is important because it allows scientists to understand and predict the behavior of magnetic materials. These factors are used to calculate the magnetic field distribution and energy in a material, which is crucial for applications such as data storage and magnetic sensors.

3. What is the significance of Stoner's derivation in this paper?

Stoner's derivation in this paper is significant because it provides a more accurate and general solution for the demagnetizing factors of ellipsoids compared to previous studies. It also introduces a new method for calculating these factors, which has been widely used in the field of magnetism.

4. What are some real-world applications of Stoner's "The Demagnetizing Factors for Ellipsoids"?

Some real-world applications of Stoner's paper include the design and optimization of magnetic devices such as hard drives, electric motors, and magnetic sensors. It is also used in the study of magnetic materials and their properties, which has implications in various industries such as electronics and healthcare.

5. What are some potential future developments in the study of demagnetizing factors?

Some potential future developments in the study of demagnetizing factors include further refinements and generalizations of Stoner's derivation, as well as its application to more complex geometries and materials. There is also ongoing research on the use of demagnetizing factors in the development of new magnetic materials and technologies.