1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A dielectric in side a spherical shell

1. Dec 4, 2008 #1
    Assume that there is a spherical dielectric inside spherical shell. There is a vacuum between the dielectric and the shell.

I found this configuration rather tricky. Any idea ?

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/7413/conductorwf9.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2008 #2
    I'm not clear on your specific question. Could you elaborate?

4. Dec 4, 2008 #3
    Consider the diagram above. Assume that the didelectric in the middle of shell contains charge Q. With this fact, how should the electric field be determined ?

5. Dec 4, 2008 #4

Defennder

Homework Helper

Why is this tricky? What can you say about the E-field from Gauss law?

6. Dec 5, 2008 #5
    FourierX, there are a few "rules" that, if you are aware of them, will enable you to solve your problem:

• The electric field outside of a uniformly charged sphere is the same as if all the charge were concentrated at its centre-point. This is true whether the sphere is hollow, solid, conductive or dielectric. This is also true of a hollow conductive shell which contains within its cavity any static arrangement of charges.
    • The electric field inside a hollow conductive shell is zero.
    • The electric field inside the body of a conductor is zero.

I would suggest that you have a try at deriving the above rules yourself. The maths is not difficult and your understanding will increase in the process. Best of luck.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?