1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A difficult substitution & separable integral

1. Apr 1, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm not sure how to proceed here. The first one asks me to find the area of a surface obtained by rotating the curve [tex]y = cos(x), 0 \leq x \leq\ \frac{\pi}{3}[/tex]

The second one asks to Solve: [tex]\frac{dy}{dt} = \frac{ty+3t}{t^2+1}\ y(2)=2[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've tried a bunch of different substitutions but I always stall on the integration.

I'm not sure how to satisfy the condition y(2) = 2. Thank you again for your help.
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2008 #2
    For the first question, integrate (secx)^3 by parts with u = secx and dv = (secx)^2.

For the second question, remember, there's a + C.
  4. Apr 2, 2008 #3
    Thanks for the reply.

Alright so if I inetgrate the first one fully from sec^3 I get:

[tex]\int^\frac{\pi}{3}_{0}(sec^3\ x\ dx) = sec\ x\ tan x - \int(sec\ x\ tan^2\ x dx)[/tex]
    [tex]= sec\ x\ tan\ x - \int(sec\ x\ (sec^2\ x - 1) dx)[/tex]
    [tex]= sec\ x\ tan\ x - \int(sec^3\ x\ dx) + \int(sec\ x\ dx)[/tex]
    [tex]= sec\ x\ tan\ x - \int(sec^3\ x\ dx) + ln(sec\ x + tan\ x) + C[/tex]
    [tex]\int(sec^3\ x\ dx) = 1/2(sec\ x\ tan\ x + ln(sec\ x + tan\ x)) + C[/tex]

But as you can see in my orginal post I have been a substitution. I believe I must return to the original term. However, I do not see in opportunity to do so during the integration above.

As for the second question, how does C change anything there? Cheers.
  5. Apr 3, 2008 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Why did you change from a definite integral to an indefinite integral?

The way you have this written, yes, you should go back to your original variable, x, and evaluate at 0 and [itex]\pi/3[/itex]. The "C" will cancel and means nothing in a definite integral.

It's usually simpler to change the limits of integration as you substitute.

In what you wrote originally you make the substution u= -sin(x) but still has 0 and [itex]\pi/3[/itex] as your limits of integration. That's incorrect. When x= 0, u= 0 so the lower limit is still 0 but when x= [itex]\pi/3[/itex], u= sin([itex]\pi/3[/itex])= [itex]\sqrt{3}/2[/itex].
  6. Apr 4, 2008 #5
    Right, but do I have to change the limits of integration again for the 2nd sub to tan & sec^2... seems like I have done this one the hard way.
  7. Apr 4, 2008 #6
    [tex]\int\sec^3 xdx=\mbox{the average of the derivative and integral of secant}[/tex]
  8. Apr 4, 2008 #7
    i have a doubt here. When we say that a curve is rotated, like on rotation of y = cos(x), as in this question.. which axis are we rotating it along?

I could rotate it along the x-axis, the y-axis or an axis that is perpendicular to the y-axis and passes through (0, Cos[pi/3]).
  9. Apr 4, 2008 #8
    Ok, so is that a yes or no to the "do I need to change the limits of integration a second time" question:P Thanks for your patience folks. It's a rotation about the x-axis.
  10. Apr 4, 2008 #9
    No, because you didn't substitute anything. You used integration by parts. Everything is in terms of x, not u or v.
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2008
  11. Apr 4, 2008 #10
    Sorry, I've made this really confusing (for myself as well). When i put the integration of sec^3 in latex i used x but if you look to the top it should actually be an integration of sec^3 theta which is the result of a substitution of -sin x for tan theta.
  12. Apr 5, 2008 #11
    bump (save me from these numbers and symbols)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?