A difficult substitution & separable integral (1 Viewer)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
I'm not sure how to proceed here. The first one asks me to find the area of a surface obtained by rotating the curve [tex]y = cos(x), 0 \leq x \leq\ \frac{\pi}{3}[/tex]

The second one asks to Solve: [tex]\frac{dy}{dt} = \frac{ty+3t}{t^2+1}\ y(2)=2[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
http://www.mcp-server.com/~lush/shillmud/int3.4.JPG
I've tried a bunch of different substitutions but I always stall on the integration.

http://www.mcp-server.com/~lush/shillmud/int3.7.JPG
I'm not sure how to satisfy the condition y(2) = 2. Thank you again for your help.

Last edited:
For the first question, integrate (secx)^3 by parts with u = secx and dv = (secx)^2.

For the second question, remember, there's a + C.

Thanks for the reply.

Alright so if I inetgrate the first one fully from sec^3 I get:

[tex]\int^\frac{\pi}{3}_{0}(sec^3\ x\ dx) = sec\ x\ tan x - \int(sec\ x\ tan^2\ x dx)[/tex]
[tex]= sec\ x\ tan\ x - \int(sec\ x\ (sec^2\ x - 1) dx)[/tex]
[tex]= sec\ x\ tan\ x - \int(sec^3\ x\ dx) + \int(sec\ x\ dx)[/tex]
[tex]= sec\ x\ tan\ x - \int(sec^3\ x\ dx) + ln(sec\ x + tan\ x) + C[/tex]
[tex]\int(sec^3\ x\ dx) = 1/2(sec\ x\ tan\ x + ln(sec\ x + tan\ x)) + C[/tex]

But as you can see in my orginal post I have been a substitution. I believe I must return to the original term. However, I do not see in opportunity to do so during the integration above.

As for the second question, how does C change anything there? Cheers.

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor
Why did you change from a definite integral to an indefinite integral?

The way you have this written, yes, you should go back to your original variable, x, and evaluate at 0 and [itex]\pi/3[/itex]. The "C" will cancel and means nothing in a definite integral.

It's usually simpler to change the limits of integration as you substitute.

In what you wrote originally you make the substution u= -sin(x) but still has 0 and [itex]\pi/3[/itex] as your limits of integration. That's incorrect. When x= 0, u= 0 so the lower limit is still 0 but when x= [itex]\pi/3[/itex], u= sin([itex]\pi/3[/itex])= [itex]\sqrt{3}/2[/itex].

Right, but do I have to change the limits of integration again for the 2nd sub to tan & sec^2... seems like I have done this one the hard way.

[tex]\int\sec^3 xdx=\mbox{the average of the derivative and integral of secant}[/tex]

i have a doubt here. When we say that a curve is rotated, like on rotation of y = cos(x), as in this question.. which axis are we rotating it along?

I could rotate it along the x-axis, the y-axis or an axis that is perpendicular to the y-axis and passes through (0, Cos[pi/3]).

[tex]\int\sec^3 xdx=\mbox{the average of the derivative and integral of secant}[/tex]
Ok, so is that a yes or no to the "do I need to change the limits of integration a second time" question:P Thanks for your patience folks. It's a rotation about the x-axis.

Ok, so is that a yes or no to the "do I need to change the limits of integration a second time" question:P Thanks for your patience folks. It's a rotation about the x-axis.
No, because you didn't substitute anything. You used integration by parts. Everything is in terms of x, not u or v.

Last edited:
Sorry, I've made this really confusing (for myself as well). When i put the integration of sec^3 in latex i used x but if you look to the top it should actually be an integration of sec^3 theta which is the result of a substitution of -sin x for tan theta.

bump (save me from these numbers and symbols)

The Physics Forums Way

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving