A disc of radius r is spinning about its center

In summary, A bug walking on a spinning disc with a constant angular speed and a constant speed relative to the disc will experience a vector acceleration equal to the ratio of the bug's speed and the disc's radius. To find the location of the bug at any given time, one can use basic trigonometry and the equations for distance and velocity. Calculus is not necessary for this problem.
mrknowknow
A disc of radius r is spinning about its center in the horizontal plane with a constant angular speed w (omega). A bug walks along the radius of the spinning disc traveling from the center of the disc toward the edge. The bug maintains a constant speed v relative to the disc. (In other words, if the disc were not spinning, the bug would travel at a speed v relative to the disc and ground.) What is the vector acceleration and (if not already given) the magnitude of the acceleration of the bug relative to the ground in terms of the three variables: r, omega, v. Show all work in the derivation.

[I used calculus to solve this.]

If someone could lead me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
subscribed

Can you write down the location of the bug at time t in XY coordinates?

since he hasn't responded can you help me through this problem?

462chevelle said:
since he hasn't responded can you help me through this problem?
Sure. Can you answer my post #3?

not with certainty, at t=0, I would say the bug is at (0,0). I can't think of how I could find it at t=1. since it has a constant velocity it would seem that the vector acceleration is equal to the v/t. this is challenging for me having only variables in the problem.

462chevelle said:
not with certainty, at t=0, I would say the bug is at (0,0). I can't think of how I could find it at t=1. since it has a constant velocity it would seem that the vector acceleration is equal to the v/t. this is challenging for me having only variables in the problem.
For the sake of argument (it won't affect the answers to the OP), suppose the bug starts heading along the positive x-axis (at speed v). Where would it be at time t if the disc were stationary?
Suppose it would then have reached point A of the disc. Start again with the disc rotating now. After time t, will the bug be at point A of the disc?

time would be distance/velocity
are we looking to put this into function notation?
like Δd(v,Δt)=vΔt
if the disc is not spinning there no derivitave calculation needed right? or do i need to find the derivation of distance in terms of time? ill take this one step at a time. and see if I am on the right track before i attempt to solve with it spinning.
thanks

462chevelle said:
time would be distance/velocity
are we looking to put this into function notation?
like Δd(v,Δt)=vΔt
if the disc is not spinning there no derivitave calculation needed right? or do i need to find the derivation of distance in terms of time? ill take this one step at a time. and see if I am on the right track before i attempt to solve with it spinning.
thanks
You don't need any calculus for what I've asked so far. The bug moves at constant speed v, so how far has it gone in time t?

d=vt
That would be the only way i could think of relating distance, time, and velocity.

462chevelle said:
d=vt
That would be the only way i could think of relating distance, time, and velocity.
Right. Now suppose that would have brought the bug to point A on a staionary disc. Will the bug still reach point A after time to if the disc is rotating? If so, where will point A be in the ground XY coordinates?

if it is rotating and the velocity of the bug is constant i would expect the bug to be at point A's radial distance from the center. it should be at (x-0)^2+(y-0)^2=A^2 all of the points at distance A relative to the ground.

462chevelle said:
if it is rotating and the velocity of the bug is constant i would expect the bug to be at point A's radial distance from the center. it should be at (x-0)^2+(y-0)^2=A^2 all of the points at distance A relative to the ground.
It will be at one of those points. The disc is rotating at constant rate w, so if A started at (vt, 0), where will it be at time t?

can i get a hint. i would think i would need to get the derivative of something so i know what the rate of change on the curve is but i can't think of how to write it.

462chevelle said:
can i get a hint. i would think i would need to get the derivative of something so i know what the rate of change on the curve is but i can't think of how to write it.
Consider a rod OA of length 1, initially with end O at (0,0) and end A at (1,0). It is rotated about the origin at constant rate w for time t. What angle has it rotated through? Where is end A now? No calculus needed - this is just trig.

would it be cosθ=vt i can't think of where to put my ordered pairs to be honest.

462chevelle said:
would it be cosθ=vt i can't think of where to put my ordered pairs to be honest.
Take it one step at a time, and post your answer to each, as far as you can go:
If the rod OA of length 1 rotates at rate w for time t, what angle does it rotate through?
If the rod OA of length 1 rotates (anticlockwise) through angle theta, what is the x coordinate of A?
If the rod OA of length 1 rotates (anticlockwise) through angle theta, what is the y coordinate of A?
If the rod OA of length 1 rotates at rate w for time t, what are the x and y coordinates of A?
If a rod OA of length r rotates at rate w for time t, what are the x and y coordinates of A?
If a rod of initially zero length lengthens at constant rate v, how long is it at time t?
If a rod OA of initially zero length (and notionally at angle 0 to the +ve x axis) lengthens at constant rate v while also rotating anticlockwise at rate w, what are the x and y coordinates of A at time t?

im not ignoring this, just not much time with school at the moment. but it will probably take me till Saturday to do some research to try and answer these questions. I will let you know when I get some time

thanks

θ=Vi(t)+(1/2)g(t^2) am i getting there with this equation?

462chevelle said:
θ=Vi(t)+(1/2)g(t^2) am i getting there with this equation?
How does gravity come into it?!
Please post answers to each of the steps I laid out, as requested. Avoid wild guesses.

i didn't mean to put gravity there. sorry but the equation for the angle of rotation I have in my notes is
θ=Vi(t)+(1/2)∂(t)^2
∂= angular acceleration
but I don't know where length of the rod would come into play with that.
or would it be θf=θi+Vi(t)+(1/2)∂(t)^2

462chevelle said:
i didn't mean to put gravity there. sorry but the equation for the angle of rotation I have in my notes is
θ=Vi(t)+(1/2)∂(t)^2
∂= angular acceleration
but I don't know where length of the rod would come into play with that.
or would it be θf=θi+Vi(t)+(1/2)∂(t)^2

That's a very unusual and confusing choice of symbols. Maybe you copied it down wrongly. I would expect to see ##\theta_f = \theta_i + \omega_i t + \frac{1}{2}\alpha t^2##.
In the present case, rotation rate is constant.

i just haven't figured out latex yet. those are just the closest symbols I could see there. so there is no accell. ill have to try again.

ive looked and looked at this I guess I am at a brick wall. the only way I could think of doing it is to make an isosceles triangle where a=1, b=1, and c=(2)^1/2
then that still don't tell me anything. this question is a bit over my head but I can't quit thinking about it.
it has to be either a concept I am not in full understanding going from math to physics or something I don't even know yet. since this isn't my homework problem can I get another hint and I will see if I can get anywhere with it?

1. What is the purpose of a disc spinning about its center?

The purpose of a disc spinning about its center is to generate angular momentum and rotational energy. This can be useful in various applications such as energy storage, transportation, and entertainment.

2. What factors affect the speed of a disc spinning about its center?

The speed of a disc spinning about its center is affected by its radius, mass distribution, and external forces such as friction and air resistance. The speed also increases with an increase in rotational energy.

3. How does the direction of rotation affect a disc spinning about its center?

The direction of rotation has a significant impact on the behavior of a disc spinning about its center. A clockwise rotation will generate a different direction of angular momentum compared to a counterclockwise rotation. This can affect the stability and balance of the disc.

4. Can a disc spinning about its center change its direction of rotation?

Yes, a disc spinning about its center can change its direction of rotation. This can be achieved by applying external forces such as torque or changing the direction of the applied force. The change in direction will affect the angular momentum and rotational energy of the disc.

5. How does the radius of a disc affect its stability when spinning about its center?

The larger the radius of a disc, the more stable it will be when spinning about its center. This is because a larger radius will result in a greater moment of inertia, making it harder for external forces to disrupt the rotation. However, a very large radius can also lead to slower rotation speeds due to the increased mass distribution.