A duck, some Newtons, and other fun stuff

• Thread starter CelesteSeven
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fun Newtons
In summary, a duck with a mass of 2.9 kg is being acted upon by a force of 0.11 N due east and a force of 0.19 N in a direction 57° south of east. Its initial velocity is 0.13 m/s due east. To find the displacement of the duck in 2.0 s, the net force on the duck must first be calculated using Newton's 2nd law. Using this net force, the change in velocity in each direction can be found and used to determine the displacement from the initial position. The angle of this displacement can then be calculated separately.
CelesteSeven
A duck has a mass of 2.9 kg. As the duck paddles, a force of 0.11 N acts on it in a direction due east. In addition, the current of the water exerts a force of 0.19 N in a direction of 57° south of east. When these forces begin to act, the velocity of the duck is 0.13 m/s in a direction due east. Find the magnitude and direction (relative to due east) of the displacement that the duck undergoes in 2.0 s while the forces are acting.

What I need are the
magnitude m
direction ° south of east

I've tried drawing free body diagrams, but seem to get stuck. I'm not quite sure how to tell where the duck will be and how to find that in degrees. This is due at 11:30 tonight EST any any guidence would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
The first step is to find the net force on the duck. Then apply Newton's 2nd law.

I've done this thus far:

Rx = .19(cos 57) +.11(cos0) = .21348N
Ry = .19(sin 57) + .11 (sin 0) = .1593N
Ax = .21348/2.9 = .07361 Ay = .1593/2.9 = .0549

then I do the tan-1 (.0549/.07361) which yields the wrong answer.

Any suggestions?

CelesteSeven said:
I've done this thus far:

Rx = .19(cos 57) +.11(cos0) = .21348N
Ry = .19(sin 57) + .11 (sin 0) = .1593N
OK. (But realize that the 0.19 N force is south of east.)
Ax = .21348/2.9 = .07361 Ay = .1593/2.9 = .0549

then I do the tan-1 (.0549/.07361) which yields the wrong answer.
You don't need the angle that the acceleration makes, you need the displacement. Find the change in the velocity in each direction and use it to find the displacement from the initial position. Then worry about finding the angle.

Related to A duck, some Newtons, and other fun stuff

What is the significance of "A duck, some Newtons, and other fun stuff"?

The phrase refers to a popular science demonstration that involves balancing a rubber duck on top of a stack of Newton's Cradles, a type of desk toy that demonstrates the principles of conservation of momentum and energy.

What is the purpose of this demonstration?

The purpose is to visually demonstrate the laws of conservation of momentum and energy in a fun and memorable way. It also highlights the interconnectedness of different scientific concepts.

What other science concepts are showcased in this demonstration?

In addition to conservation of momentum and energy, the demonstration also illustrates concepts such as gravity, inertia, and potential and kinetic energy.

How does this demonstration relate to real-world applications?

The principles demonstrated in this fun experiment have real-world applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and even sports. Understanding these concepts can help us design better structures, vehicles, and athletic equipment.

Can this demonstration be modified or expanded upon?

Yes, there are many variations and extensions of this experiment that can be done, such as adding more Newton's Cradles, using different objects to balance on top, or exploring the effects of different forces on the system. The possibilities are endless!