Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A good place to learn and build electronic circuit?

1. Dec 4, 2003 #1
    i'm really into electronic but right now i have a limited knowledge of electronic circuit. Is there a place that has basic electronic projects that I can built and learn at the same time?

I like the projects at http://www.aaroncake.net/circuits/index.asp but they're too advance for me. Do u think I can build some of these projects with limited electronic skills? Is there more than just gathering parts and assemble it like the schematic?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2003 #2

Stingray

Science Advisor

Buy a breadboard so you don't have to solder things. Then put random circuits together, and see what happens (you'll need a multimeter). Its fun. Most of the circuits on that page are a too little large to start with, but they're probably doable. You just need to be patient.

4. Dec 4, 2003 #3

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I would recommend starting with some basic DC circiuts, making an effort to understand what you are doing. There are many (Google is your friend!) sites dealing with basic AC/DC electrical fundamentals. When you have learned the function of the basic components you can then move on to more complicated circiuts and have some hope of understanding what they are about.

5. Dec 5, 2003 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Get yourself a Radio Shack electric project kit (if they still make them). Disregard any age suggestions. I still have mine (though I haven't played with it in a while).

6. Dec 5, 2003 #5
    You need a goal. Set your goal, even if its far beyond you now, and then move slowly towards it. You'll have to learn alot on the way, but having single goal ahead, you can notice your progress. By building stuff at random, it'll be hard for you feel the sense of it.

As general suggestion, before you build anything, first make hard effort to understand how it works. If you don't understand what you are doing, its a monkey business. There is such concept as ability to "read schematics", like a story if you like. If your into it, you need to learn "reading". For that you need to know a bunch of rules, typical schematic units, so you can recognize them like "words", then understand their interactions in more complex circuits, so you can understand them like "sentences". Ultimately, you'd be able to take any schematic, and have fun just looking at it, because you'd recognise whats been done, why done so, and often find surprises as to why the author has done something you'd not think of. Especially fun with analog circuits, digital stuff looses "personality".

I started with goal to build hi-fi audio system from components. And I was just "blank" at a time. It kept me busy for years. And although I didn't finish (its eternal process) as "life got me", I don't regret a single minute of that time.

Reproducing someone elses schematic is easiest part. Much more interesting is "creation" of your own schematic that works, is better and more efficient. And know, that science and art of electronic design is far from finished, there are breakthroughs ahead, and you can be part of it.

7. Oct 30, 2011 #6
    Your Electronic Guru

You can ask me anything about electronic circuits, I can solve all your circuit related problems within minutes.

Contact me at hitman2008@live.in

8. Oct 30, 2011 #7

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

there are plenty of hobbby sites where people share ideas and projects.

here's one i used to frequent. we helped a 'newbie' build himself an inexpensive high quality stereo that'd plug into his computer's audio jack. he learned about amplifiers, speakers, crossovers, enclosures and thiele parameters..
    he went on to make an amplified subwoofer.

http://www.discovercircuits.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7783&page=1

google electronic hobby sites and decide how you want to start.

you'll need an inexpensive soldering iron
    and small pliers and cutter- Sears has a nice set around $20.

9. Oct 30, 2011 #8
  10. Oct 30, 2011 #9
    Just noticed, this thread is ahm 7 years old :D

11. Dec 28, 2011 #10
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?