What is the Parametric Vector Equation of a Plane Passing Through Three Points?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the parametric vector equation and normal vector of a plane passing through three points. The conversation also includes a question about calculating the cross product of two vectors and the correct answer being (-6, -2, 4). The expert summarizer provides a summary of the conversation and explains the correct cross product calculation.
roam
This is a very simple problem but I'm confused because the book's answer is completely different from mine;

Find the parametric vector equation of the plane that passes through the points P(3,1,2), Q(1,3,2) and R(1,1,1).

My attempt at a solution

This is simple, the parametric equations has to be: OX = OP + λPQ + μPR, λ,μ [tex]\in[/tex] R

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{ccc}3\\1\\2\end{ar ray}\right)[/tex] + [tex]\lambda[/tex] [tex] \left(\begin{array}{ccc}-2\\2\\0\end{ar ray}\right)[/tex] + [tex]\mu[/tex] [tex]\left(\begin{array}{ccc}-2\\0\\-1\end{ar ray}\right)[/tex]

I'm confident that this is the right answer & here's a diagram of a similar situation.

http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/9168/planezl4.gif

But the correct answer according to the book has to be:

[tex]\lambda[/tex] [tex]\left(\begin{array}{ccc}3\\1\\2\end{ar ray}\right)[/tex] + [tex]\mu[/tex] [tex]\left(\begin{array}{ccc}1\\3\\2\end{ar ray}\right)[/tex] + [tex](1- \lambda -\mu)[/tex] [tex]\left(\begin{array}{ccc}1\\1\\1\end{ar ray}\right)[/tex]

So, what's wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
There's nothing wrong. There's an infinite number of ways to parametrize the plane. Both answers are right. If you look at the book answer and combine the lambdas and mus, you'll see that it's OR+lambda*PR+mu*QR. Same thing.

I don't see anything wrong. Your "equation" (there's not actually an equals in what you have) is satisfied by each of the three given points when 1) lambda = 0, mu = 0; 2) lambda = 1, mu = 0; 3) lambda = 0, mu=1.

The book's "equation" is also satisfied by various combinations of lambda and mu, each with a value of 0 or 1.

Ok thank you. I also have another question:

Find a normal vector to the plane through the points P(2, 0, 2), Q(3, 1, 4) and R(1, 3, 2).

My Attempt:

Parametric vector equation of the plane is;

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{ccc}2\\0\\2\end{ar ray}\right)[/tex] + [tex]\lambda[/tex] [tex]\left(\begin{array}{ccc}1\\1\\2\end{ar ray}\right)[/tex] + [tex]\mu[/tex] [tex]\left(\begin{array}{ccc}-1\\3\\0\end{ar ray}\right)[/tex]

The vectors PQ and PR are two linearly independent direction vectors for the plane. Hence according to a worked example in my book, PQ × PR is a normal vector to the plane. Now the coordinates of PQ = OQ − OP are: (1, 1, 2) and the coordinates of PR = OR − OP are: ( − 1, 3, 0).

(1, 1, 2) × ( − 1, 3, 0) = (-6,4,0)

But this is incorrect. The corrcet answer is that the coordinates of a normal vector are: ( − 6, − 2, 4). What did I do wrong here?
Thanks.

What you did was calculate the cross product incorrectly. How did you get (-6, 4, 0)?

Hi! Actually I made an error in my previous post. The cross product is defined by;

u × v = [tex]\left(\begin{array}{ccc}i&j&k\\u1&u2&u3\\v1&v2&v3\end{ar ray}\right)[/tex] = [tex]\left(\begin{array}{ccc}u2&u3\\v2&v3\end{ar ray}\right)[/tex] i - [tex]\left(\begin{array}{ccc}\\u1&u3\\v1&v3\end{ar ray}\right)[/tex] j + [tex]\left(\begin{array}{ccc}\\u1&u2\\v1&v2\end{ar ray}\right)[/tex] k

So, PQ × PR is;

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{ccc}i&j&k\\1&1&2\\-1&3&0\end{ar ray}\right)[/tex] = i [tex]\left(\begin{array}{ccc}1&2\\3&0\end{ar ray}\right)[/tex] - j [tex]\left(\begin{array}{ccc}1&2\\-1&0\end{ar ray}\right)[/tex] + k [tex]\left(\begin{array}{ccc}1&1\\-1&3\end{ar ray}\right)[/tex]

The coordinates of a normal vector are: = (6, -2, 4)

Now, I don't understand why the right answer is supposed to be ( − 6, − 2, 4)! I used the formula so why did I get the wrong answer? How come they got a -6? :rolleyes:

[itex]\begin{vmatrix} 1 &2 \\ 3 &0 \end{vmatrix}=(1)(0)-(2)(3)=-6[/itex]

;0)

FAQ: What is the Parametric Vector Equation of a Plane Passing Through Three Points?

What is "A Plane through 3 points"?

A Plane through 3 points is a geometric concept that refers to a flat, two-dimensional surface that passes through three specific points in space. It is a fundamental concept in geometry and is used in various fields such as mathematics, engineering, and physics.

How do you determine the equation of a plane through 3 points?

To determine the equation of a plane through 3 points, you can use the three-point formula, which involves finding the normal vector of the plane and using it with one of the points to form the equation. Another method is to use the cross product of two vectors formed by the three points to find the normal vector and then use it to form the equation of the plane.

What information is needed to determine a unique plane through 3 points?

To determine a unique plane through 3 points, you need the coordinates of the three points in space. These points must be non-collinear, meaning they cannot all lie on the same line. Without this information, it is impossible to determine a unique plane through 3 points.

What is the significance of a plane through 3 points in real-world applications?

Planes through 3 points have various real-world applications, such as in the construction of buildings and bridges, in navigation systems, and in computer graphics. They are also used in physics to model the motion of objects in three-dimensional space.

Can a plane through 3 points be uniquely determined if two of the points are collinear?

No, a plane through 3 points cannot be uniquely determined if two of the points are collinear. This is because there are infinite planes that can pass through two collinear points, making it impossible to determine a unique plane through 3 points. In such cases, a third non-collinear point is needed to determine a unique plane.