A Question about Frictional Forces

• Thread starter peterpam89
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, the problem involves a horizontal force of 15 N pushing a .50 kg book against a vertical wall. The book is initially at rest and has a coefficient of static friction of 0.6 and a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.40. The acceleration of the book can be calculated using the equations F=ma, static friction= coefficient of static friction x normal force, and kinetic friction= coefficient of kinetic friction x normal force. The solution is found by setting the forces in the x direction equal to 0 and solving for the acceleration in the y direction. The maximum static friction force at the point of pending motion is determined by multiplying the coefficient of friction by the normal force. The actual static friction force may be
peterpam89

Homework Statement

A horizontal force of 15 N pushes a .50 kg book against a vertical wall. The book is initially at rest. If the coefficient of static friction= 0.6 and the coefficient of kinetic friction = 0.40, what is the acceleration of the book?

Homework Equations

F=ma
static friction= coefficient of static friction x normal force
kinetic friction= coefficient of kinetic friction x normal force

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I drew a free body diagram of a rectangle next to the wall. To the right, I had the force 15 N pointing towards the rectangle (the force exerted on the book). To the left, I had a force - 15 pointing towards the rectangle (the force exerted on the book by the wall). Pointing in the down direction, I had a vector mg. In the upward the direction the force is equal to the frictional force.

Thus, the force in the x direction equals 0.

Ff-MG= MAy
Thus, Ay= (Ff-MG)/M

Ff= coefficient of kinetic friction * normal force

For some reason, I'm not getting a good answer. Can someone tell me where I am going wrong? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The maximum static friction force at the point of pending motion is (coef. friction)*N. The actual static friction force may be different. Does the block move?

No it is not! I get it now! Thank you thank you thank you!

1. What is frictional force?

Frictional force is a force that occurs when two surfaces come into contact and resist each other's motion. It is caused by the microscopic irregularities on the surface of objects and can slow down or stop their movement.

2. How is frictional force measured?

Frictional force is typically measured in units of Newtons (N) and is determined by multiplying the coefficient of friction (a measure of how "rough" the surfaces are) by the normal force (the force exerted by one surface on the other).

3. What factors affect frictional force?

The two main factors that affect frictional force are the types of surfaces in contact and the normal force between them. Rougher surfaces and higher normal forces will result in higher frictional forces.

4. How does frictional force impact motion?

Frictional force can either slow down or stop motion by creating an opposing force to the direction of movement. It can also cause objects to heat up due to the energy lost during the frictional process.

5. How can frictional force be reduced?

Frictional force can be reduced by using lubricants (such as oil or grease) to decrease the roughness of the surfaces in contact. It can also be reduced by using smoother surfaces or by decreasing the normal force between the two surfaces.