A question for helium energy transition

In summary, the conversation discusses the absence of a transition between 1s3p-1s3s in S=0 parahelium, despite it being allowed in the selection rules. The website provided shows the transition on an energy level diagram, but the wavelength/frequency is not specified. A better source lists the transition as 1,344 cm^-1 in the infrared region.
newforce
For S=0 parahelium, 1s2p-1s2s transition is allowed, but why there is no transition between 1s3p-1s3s? I think the only difference for the electron configurations is principal quantum number. The selection rules applying for 1s2p-1s2s can also be applied to 1s3p-1s3s. In other words, there is no selection rule to forbid the 1s3p-1s3s transition.

Attachments

• Helium.JPG
    Helium.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 1,091
Physics news on Phys.org
newforce said:
For S=0 parahelium, 1s2p-1s2s transition is allowed, but why there is no transition between 1s3p-1s3s? I think the only difference for the electron configurations is principal quantum number. The selection rules applying for 1s2p-1s2s can also be applied to 1s3p-1s3s. In other words, there is no selection rule to forbid the 1s3p-1s3s transition.

I think that it should be allowed. The chart is showing observed lines. What wavelength/frequency would the 1s3p-1s3s transition be? It may be that the chart is showing prominenet lines in a particular wavelength region. The one you are looking for might lie outside of this window.

This website shows the transition on there energy level diagram: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/quantum/helium.html

Quantum Defect said:
I think that it should be allowed. The chart is showing observed lines. What wavelength/frequency would the 1s3p-1s3s transition be? It may be that the chart is showing prominenet lines in a particular wavelength region. The one you are looking for might lie outside of this window.

This website shows the transition on there energy level diagram: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/quantum/helium.html

Thanks for your reply. Your idea currently is only reasonable explanation for the missing transition though I still expect more details. BTW, graph in the link clearly shows no transition between 1s3p-1s3s.

newforce said:
Thanks for your reply. Your idea currently is only reasonable explanation for the missing transition though I still expect more details. BTW, graph in the link clearly shows no transition between 1s3p-1s3s.

Whoops. You are correct, I mistook the 3p-2s for the one you were asking about.

Here is a better source: http://www.nist.gov/srd/upload/jpcrd382009565p.pdf
This source lists the transition (#73 in the list for He, on page 618) as being 1,344 cm^-1 -- in the infrared region.

Quantum Defect said:
Whoops. You are correct, I mistook the 3p-2s for the one you were asking about.

Here is a better source: http://www.nist.gov/srd/upload/jpcrd382009565p.pdf
This source lists the transition (#73 in the list for He, on page 618) as being 1,344 cm^-1 -- in the infrared region.

Thanks so much for the excellent reference! I will read it carefully.

1. What is helium energy transition?

Helium energy transition refers to the process of transitioning from traditional energy sources, such as fossil fuels, to using helium as a source of energy.

2. Why is helium being considered as an alternative energy source?

Helium is being considered as an alternative energy source because it is a clean and abundant element that does not produce greenhouse gas emissions. It can also be used as a fuel for nuclear fusion reactions, which has the potential to generate large amounts of energy.

3. How is helium being used as an energy source?

Helium can be used as an energy source in several ways, including as a fuel for nuclear fusion reactions, as a coolant in nuclear reactors, and as a source of energy for cryogenic technologies.

4. What are the benefits of transitioning to helium energy?

The benefits of transitioning to helium energy include reducing our reliance on fossil fuels, decreasing greenhouse gas emissions, and potentially creating a more sustainable and efficient energy source.

5. What are the challenges of implementing helium energy transition?

Some challenges of implementing helium energy transition include the high cost of developing and implementing new technologies, the need for further research and development, and potential safety concerns with using helium in nuclear reactions.