Rocket Pushing Box in Empty Space

• Thread starter adjacent
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Box Rocket
In summary: I'm still a little confused about the energy loss part.Can you elaborate?The rocket loses energy as it repeatedly hits the box. Eventually the box will have more energy and will push the rocket away.
adjacent
Gold Member
This is actually not a homework but it looks like one.So I posted here

Homework Statement

A rocket is pushing a box on empty space.
The rocket is exerting a force on the blue colored box.In turn the box is exerting the same force on the rocket.The engine(or fire or whatever) it exerting a force on the rocket..

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

At first the rocket gets close to the box,as it gets closer,the electromagnetic force builds up(the box starts to move) until the force from the engine and electro balance.The rocket moves at a constant velocity even closer to the box the electomagnetic force now exceeds the engine force and move at more acceleration.Again the rocket contacts and do the same.Will it keep bouncing like that if there were no energy loss?
And is my explanation right at the first place?

What would be a better explanation.I haven't studied such types of collision yet(or any types).So please be descriptive.o:)

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    835 bytes · Views: 420
Physics news on Phys.org
hi adjacent! :smile:
adjacent said:
A rocket is pushing a box on empty space.
The rocket is exerting a force on the blue colored box.In turn the box is exerting the same force on the rocket.The engine(or fire or whatever) it exerting a force on the rocket..

sorry, i don't understand what the question is asking for :confused:

tiny-tim said:
hi adjacent! :smile:

sorry, i don't understand what the question is asking for :confused:
Just imagine that a person(Stationary) is observing a rocket driving a box across the empty space(No resistance forces.)
What Explanation could the observer give?
Is my explanation correct?

I doubt it. It doesn't make any sense.

If the box is not fixed "in space" in any way, it will be pushed by the rocket, with increasing velocity, till the rocket runs out of fuel. Then they will travel with some constant velocities, and the box will have a slightly greater velocity that the rocket. Why that is so is left as an exercise to the reader.

During the initial impact and shortly after, there will be oscillations in the box-rocket system. Also an exercise.

voko said:
During the initial impact and shortly after, there will be oscillations in the box-rocket system. Also an exercise.
Yes this was what I was asking for.Sorry if it did not make any sense.
Why do you think the bouncing stops,because it(collistion)loses energy?

At first the rocket gets close to the box,as it gets closer,the electromagnetic force builds up(the box starts to move) until the force from the engine and electro balance.The rocket moves at a constant velocity even closer to the box the electomagnetic force now exceeds the engine force and move at more acceleration.Again the rocket contacts and do the same.Will it keep bouncing like that if there were no energy loss?
And is my explanation right at the first place?

So in short you have an accelerating object (a rocket) colliding (elastically) with another object (the box).

As long as the collision is elastic then yes it will keep bouncing off.

Not sure what happens if the combination approaches the speed of light :-)

adjacent said:
Yes this was what I was asking for.Sorry if it did not make any sense.
Why do you think the bouncing stops,because it(collistion)loses energy?

Yes.

Thank you all so much

1. What is the concept of "Rocket Pushing Box in Empty Space"?

The concept of "Rocket Pushing Box in Empty Space" is a thought experiment in physics that explores the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration. It involves a box floating in empty space and being pushed by a rocket, and examines how the box's movement is affected by the force of the rocket's engines.

2. How does the rocket's force affect the box's movement?

The rocket's force causes the box to accelerate in the opposite direction of the force. This is due to Newton's Third Law of Motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. Therefore, the force of the rocket pushing forward causes the box to move backwards.

3. Is there any friction involved in this thought experiment?

No, there is no friction involved in this thought experiment because the box is floating in empty space. Friction is a force that occurs when two objects rub against each other, but in this scenario, there are no other objects for the box to rub against.

4. How does the mass of the box affect its movement?

The mass of the box plays a crucial role in its movement. According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the force applied to it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the mass of the box, the slower its acceleration will be when pushed by the same amount of force from the rocket.

5. What can this thought experiment teach us about physics?

This thought experiment can teach us about the fundamental principles of physics, such as Newton's Laws of Motion and the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration. It also highlights the importance of considering all forces acting on an object to understand its movement accurately.