Possible Values of a and b for |2x+a| = |b-x| at x=-4 and x=2/3

In summary, the equation |2x+a|=|b-x| has exactly 2 solutions, at x=-4 and x=2/3. To find the values of a and b that satisfy both equations, we can expand the equations into four possible combinations and solve for a and b. The only valid combinations are a=b+12 and a=-2/3-b, which result in two possible solutions of a=17/3 and b=-19/3, and a=1 and b=3.
danago
Gold Member
The equation |2x+a|=|b-x| has exactly 2 solutions, at x=-4 and x=2/3. Find the value(s) of a and b.

Ok so the questions is asking me to find possible values of a and b which make the equation true for ONLY x=-4 and x=2/3.

So for:

|a-8|=|b+4|
|a+4/3|=b-2/3|

I need to find the values of a and b that satisfy both equations.

Its from there I am a little stuck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Dan.

Physics news on Phys.org
The effect of the absolute value is to give you two possible equations for each single one that you are given, right? So if you have an equation |X| = |Y|, that expands into two possible equations:

X = Y and -X = Y

So this may be the long way to solve this, but I'd expand out your two equations into four, and combine them in different pairs to see what the potential solutions could be for a and b.

EQN1 --> E1p and E1n
EQN2 --> E2p and E2n

There are four combinations of equations that I think would be valid to use for the solutions. Obviously you can't combine E1p and E1n or E2p and E2n, but the other combinations should be valid to see what solutions come up.

Ok so my 4 new equations, in which I've isolated 'a',
a=b+12
a=4-b

a=b-2
a=-2/3-b

Of the 4 possible combinations of equations, only 2 have solutions, -19/3 and 1. Using these values to get values of a, i get the two possible solutions of a and b:

a=17/3
b=-19/3

a=1
b=3

Seems to fit the requirements :) Thanks for the help.

Related to Possible Values of a and b for |2x+a| = |b-x| at x=-4 and x=2/3

1. What is an absolute value equation?

An absolute value equation is an equation that contains an absolute value expression, denoted by vertical bars around a variable or expression. It is used to find the numerical value of a quantity, disregarding its sign.

2. How do I solve an absolute value equation?

To solve an absolute value equation, you need to isolate the absolute value expression on one side of the equation. Then, remove the absolute value bars and create two separate equations - one with a positive and one with a negative value. Solve both equations to find the possible solutions.

3. What are the properties of absolute value equations?

The properties of absolute value equations include:

• The absolute value of a number is always positive.
  • The absolute value of a negative number is its positive equivalent.
  • The absolute value of a positive number is the number itself.
  • The absolute value of zero is zero.
  • The absolute value of a sum is equal to the sum of the absolute values.

4. Can an absolute value equation have more than one solution?

Yes, an absolute value equation can have more than one solution. This is because the absolute value expression can be both positive and negative, resulting in two possible solutions.

5. How are absolute value equations used in real life?

Absolute value equations are used in real life to solve problems involving distance, such as finding the absolute value of a difference between two numbers. They are also used in physics and engineering to calculate the magnitude of a vector quantity.