What is the formula for calculating time and velocity with acceleration?

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the formula for calculating the time it takes for an object to travel a certain distance with constant acceleration, specifically for an object falling 125m to the ground. The conversation also touched on finding velocity and direction when the start and end points are the same, and the difference between average speed and average velocity. The conversation ended with the suggestion to use equation 4 to find the final velocity and then use equation 3 to solve for the time.
Genowyn
OK. I am doing my science summative and have entirely forgotten what formula to use to find how long it takes something to travel a certain distance, given the acceleration.

More specifically, I need to know the formula for how long it takes something to fall 125m to the ground.

Also, how do I find velocity if the start position of my object is the same as the first one. (I know the speed, just not the direction.)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
All of the ones on that page seem to require that I know the final velocity. I don't know the final velocity, just the distance, initial velocity, and acceleration.

So, I still have no idea what to do.

You can use equation 4 to solve for the final velocity and then use equation 3 to solve for the time.

I see, thank you.

Does anyone know about how I find direction if the start and end point are the same point?

The displacement is zero, hence no direction, i think that is right judging from what your question is asking

So the velocity is just the same as the speed?

No.
Average speed is the total path distance traveled divided by the time taken
(there and back again distances adding up)
Average velocity is the "net" displacement (zero, here) divided by time.

Their "complete set of formulas" is missing 3b : Dx = v_f t - 1/2 a t^2 .

Related to What is the formula for calculating time and velocity with acceleration?

1. What is the formula for acceleration?

The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

2. How do you calculate acceleration?

To calculate acceleration, you need to know the change in velocity and the time it took for that change to occur. Simply plug those values into the formula a = (vf - vi) / t to get the acceleration.

3. What are the units for acceleration?

The units for acceleration are meters per second squared (m/s²), as it represents the change in velocity over time.

4. Can acceleration be negative?

Yes, acceleration can be negative. This means that the object is slowing down or decelerating. The direction of the negative acceleration would be opposite to the direction of motion.

5. How does acceleration relate to Newton's second law of motion?

Newton's second law of motion states that the force applied to an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. Therefore, acceleration is directly proportional to the force and inversely proportional to the mass of an object.