Acceleration of an electron held at 1m from the nucleus of an Uranium atom.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
mxdrk
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



An electron is held fixed at a distance of 1 m from the nucleus of a uranium atom (Z = 92). If the electron is then released, what is the magnitude of its initial acceleration?


Homework Equations



I am not sure which kinematic equation that I should use.

The Attempt at a Solution



This is the only problem on my physics final review that I do not know how to do. I know that the answer is 23,300 m/s^2, but I do not know how to get this answer. I would really love it if someone could explain how to solve this to me.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
This is a dynamics problem, not a kinematics one. Hint: What force acts on the electron?
 
I was thinking the strong nuclear force, but I believe at 1m it is too far for that to have an effect. The only other thing I could think of would be gravity?
 
mxdrk said:
I was thinking the strong nuclear force, but I believe at 1m it is too far for that to have an effect. The only other thing I could think of would be gravity?
Neither of those forces would be significant. What other force acts?
 
The only other thing I could think of would be Coulomb's law. This is the only problem out of 100 that I just have no clue about. I keep rereading my notes but can't seem to find out what I'm missing on.

Thanks for the help though, I appreciate you trying to lead me to the answer.
 
mxdrk said:
The only other thing I could think of would be Coulomb's law.
That's the one.

The positively charged nucleus attracts the electron with an electrical force given by Coulomb's law. Figure out that force.