How Does Centrifuge Radius Affect Blood Component Separation?

In summary, blood samples are separated using centrifugation by subjecting them to an acceleration of 2000g or more. The distance of a sample of blood from the rotation axis of a centrifuge rotating at a frequency of 3540 rpm is 14.27 cm. The accelerations experienced by the blood at the top and bottom of the test tube are 3.48g and 5.54g respectively.
cowmoo32

Homework Statement

Human blood contains plasma, platelets, and blood cells. To separate the plasma from other components, centrifugation is used. Effective centrifugation requires subjecting blood to an acceleration of 2000g or more. In this situation, assume that blood is contained in test tubes of length L = 14.2 cm that are full of blood. These tubes ride in the centrifuge tilted at an angle of 45.0° above the horizontal (see figure below)
3-figure-34-alt.gif

What is the distance of a sample of blood from the rotation axis of a centrifuge rotating at a frequency f = 3540 rpm, if it has an acceleration of 2000g?

If the blood at the center of the tubes revolves around the rotation axis at the radius calculated in Part (a), calculate the accelerations experienced by the blood at each end of the test tube. Express all accelerations as multiples of g.

Homework Equations

a = [itex]\frac{v^2}{r}[/itex]

v = [itex]\frac{2\pi r}{t}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

part a)
a = [itex]\frac{v^2}{r}[/itex]

v = 2[itex]\pi[/itex]r(f)

r = [itex]\frac{2000g}{(2\pi f)^2}[/itex]

r = 14.27cm

part b)
This is what gets me. Let's call rA the top of the tube and rB the bottom. Would rA not be r-(7.1cm*cos(45)) and rB = r+(7.1cm*cos(45))? This seems logical to me but it isn't giving me the correct answer for the acceleration.

edit: I figured it out. I worked on this for a couple hours last night and kept using the same velocity. It just dawned on me that the velocity changes with the radius.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I apologize for the mental lapse. aA = \frac{(2\pi*(r-(7.1cm*cos(45))*f)^2}{r-(7.1cm*cos(45))} = 3.48gaB = \frac{(2\pi*(r+(7.1cm*cos(45))*f)^2}{r+(7.1cm*cos(45))} = 5.54g

1. What is a centrifuge and how does it work?

A centrifuge is a laboratory instrument used to separate mixtures of substances based on their density. It works by spinning samples at high speeds, causing the components to separate based on their mass and centrifugal force.

2. What is acceleration of centrifuge and why is it important?

Acceleration of centrifuge is the rate at which the rotational speed of the centrifuge increases. It is important because it determines the force applied to the samples, which affects the separation and efficiency of the centrifugation process.

3. How is the acceleration of centrifuge calculated?

The acceleration of centrifuge can be calculated using the formula a = rω^2, where a is the acceleration, r is the radius of the centrifuge, and ω is the angular velocity (rotation rate) of the centrifuge.

4. How does the acceleration of centrifuge affect the separation of samples?

The acceleration of centrifuge affects the separation of samples by increasing the centrifugal force acting on the samples. This force causes the denser components to move towards the bottom of the tube, while the less dense components move towards the top, resulting in separation.

5. What factors can affect the acceleration of centrifuge?

The acceleration of centrifuge can be affected by the speed and duration of the centrifugation, the size and type of the centrifuge, the size and density of the samples, and the angle of the rotor. Other factors such as temperature and altitude can also affect the acceleration of centrifuge.