Water Pressure in Centrifuge

In summary: Therefore, your integral should be from 0 to 30, and the result will be positive. So, in summary, when integrating along an axis, the direction of the axis must correspond to the direction of the field in the equation being integrated.
bphys348

Homework Statement

A test tube filled with water is being spun around in an ultra centrifuge with angular velocity ω. The test tube is lying along a radius, and the free surface of the water is at a radius r0.

(a) Show that the pressure at radius r within the test tube is P = (1/2)rho*ω2(r2-r02). Ignore gravity and atmospheric pressure

Homework Equations

dP= -ρgdz

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the test tube is undergoing circular motion, and the water within the test the test tube lies at a varying radius from center, the acceleration (g) is given by a=(v2)/r = ω2r

So dP = -ρgdz = -ρω2rdr

P= -(1/2)ρω2r2 from r to r0

I think that much is fine, and this gives me the correct answer... But, here is where my understanding is hazy. If I define r to be increasing radially from center, then it is my understanding that my lower bound should be r and my upper to be r0.

Here's my question: If I define an axis to be increasing in one direction, then should I always integrate from the lower value to higher?

If I use this same reasoning with a simple pressure vs. water depth example then I run into trouble. If I want to find the pressure at a depth of 30m and I define my z axis to be increasing upwards then it seems to me the integral should look like this:

dP = ∫-ρgdz from -30 to 0 = -ρg(0 - -30) = -ρg*30

But the answer should be positive!

Any help would be much appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
In the formula you have used, the gravitational acceleration is pointing in the negative z direction. If you change the direction of the axis, then you must also change the direction of the field.

1. What is water pressure in a centrifuge?

The water pressure in a centrifuge refers to the force exerted by the water on the objects or substances inside the centrifuge as it spins. This pressure is created by the centrifugal force, which causes the water to move away from the center of rotation towards the walls of the centrifuge.

2. How does water pressure affect the separation of substances in a centrifuge?

Water pressure plays a crucial role in the separation of substances in a centrifuge. The higher the water pressure, the faster the separation process will be as it increases the force acting on the substances, pushing them towards the walls of the centrifuge.

3. Can water pressure be adjusted in a centrifuge?

Yes, water pressure can be adjusted in a centrifuge. This can be done by changing the speed of the centrifuge, which will alter the centrifugal force and, in turn, the water pressure. Some centrifuges also have a control for adjusting the water pressure directly.

4. What factors can affect water pressure in a centrifuge?

The main factors that can affect water pressure in a centrifuge include the speed of rotation, the density and viscosity of the substances being separated, and the design and size of the centrifuge. Changes in these factors can alter the centrifugal force and therefore, the water pressure.

5. Why is it important to monitor water pressure in a centrifuge?

Monitoring water pressure in a centrifuge is important to ensure the proper functioning and efficiency of the machine. If the water pressure is too low, the separation process may be too slow, and if it is too high, it can cause damage to the centrifuge or affect the quality of the separated substances. Regular monitoring also helps to identify any potential issues or malfunctions in the centrifuge.