Acceleration word problem help :/

In summary, the problem involves a hot air balloon ascending at a constant speed of 7.0 m/s and a pellet fired from ground level with an initial speed of 30.0 m/s. The goal is to find the two points where the balloon and the pellet have the same altitude at the same time. Using the equation d = di + vi*t + (1/2)at^2, the displacements can be set equal to each other and solved for time. The final equation should be -4.905t^2 + 23t - 12 = 0, which can be solved using the quadratic formula.
kholdstare121
acceleration/velocity word problem help!

The problem is:
A hot air balloon is ascending straight up at a constant speed of 7.0 m/s. when the balloon is 12.0 m above the ground, a gun fires a pellet straight up from ground level with an initial speed of 30.0 m/s. Along the paths of the balloon and the pellet, there are two places where each of them has the same altitude at the same time. How far above ground level are these places?

I've been stuck on this problem for hours.
I started out using the equation d=Vi*t+1/2*a*t^2 for both the balloon and the pellet, then set them equal
but I run into problems of where to include the 12.0m at.
Ugh...where do I start?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You should use the full equation;

[tex]d = d_{i} + v_{i}t + \frac{1}{2}at^{2}[/tex]

Where di is the intial position. Set the displacements equal to each other and solve for t. Does that make sense?

Hootenanny said:
You should use the full equation;

[tex]d = d_{i} + v_{i}t + \frac{1}{2}at^{2}[/tex]

Where di is the intial position. Set the displacements equal to each other and solve for t. Does that make sense?
we've never learned that equation :confused:
:frown:

Edit*
But I had the same idea, I just am confused about the balloon's displacement
Would it be [tex]12m+7.0m/s*t[/tex]??

Last edited:
The final equation I end up getting is 0=-4.9m/s^2*t^2-7.0m/s*t-12m
When I solve that using the quadratic formula I get the squareroot of a negative number.
What am I doing wrong?

Last edited:
kholdstare121 said:
But I had the same idea, I just am confused about the balloon's displacement
Would it be [tex]12m+7.0m/s*t[/tex]??
That is spot on, so you should have;

[tex]7t + 12 = 30t - 4.905t^{2}[/tex]

Correct?

Related to Acceleration word problem help :/

1. How do I solve acceleration word problems?

To solve acceleration word problems, you first need to identify the given values such as initial velocity, final velocity, and time. Then, use the formula a = (vf - vi)/t to calculate the acceleration. Finally, plug in the values and solve for acceleration.

2. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It can be positive (speeding up) or negative (slowing down) depending on the direction of the object's motion.

3. How do I know when to use the formula a = (vf - vi)/t?

The formula a = (vf - vi)/t is used when you are given the initial and final velocities of an object and the time it takes for the object to reach that final velocity. This is commonly used in acceleration word problems.

4. Can acceleration be negative?

Yes, acceleration can be negative. This occurs when an object is slowing down, such as a car braking or a ball thrown upwards. Negative acceleration is also known as deceleration.

5. How do I convert from miles per hour to meters per second?

To convert from miles per hour to meters per second, you can use the conversion factor 1 mile = 1609.34 meters and 1 hour = 3600 seconds. Multiply the given speed in miles per hour by 0.447 to get the equivalent speed in meters per second.