Acid resistant, heat conductive electronics enclosure

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for an electronic measurement system to be placed in a harsh environment, specifically an ore pile being extracted with sulphuric acid at temperatures of 100-150 degrees C. The requirements for the enclosure include resistance to acid, good heat conduction, and the ability to wirelessly communicate. Suggestions are made for materials such as stainless steel, monel, inconel, fused ceramic, and high density polyethylene, with potential concerns about their effects on wireless transmission and temperature sensors. The idea of using a Corningware baking dish with a silicone gasket is also brought up. The suggestion is made to consider changing the design parameters to eliminate the need for wireless telemetry and instead use a simple temperature sensor on a
sparky_guy
Hi,

I need to put an electronic measurement system into a very nasty environment. An Ore pile where the minerals are being extracted using sulphuric acid and the temperature is 100-150 degrees C.

I need an enclosure which will resist the acidic environment but conduct the heat to my temperature sensors inside. I also will communicate wirelessly (100s kHz) so thick metallic structures are not really an option. Ploymers with acid resist epoxys will fall down on heat conduction.

Initially I just need a demo, so something which will last 24 hours or so. But in the longer term we would be aiming at about a year survival in the ore pile. Any suggestions of a material which might meet my needs? Even for the demo

Cheers

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Sparky Guy.
Would a Corningware baking dish with a silicone gasket work?

An out of the box (and into the baking dish :) ) suggestion... i like it!

I will look into it, thanks

Perhaps you could investigate the various alloys used for corrosive environments:
  • stainless steels of various grades
  • monel
  • inconel

Then there is always fused ceramic, but that would be my last choice I think.

I think stainless steel will affect my wireless transmission and the impedance of my antenna, but I will look into it in any case. Monel and inconel sound very expensive to work with.

How about glasses and polymers?

Have you looked into the various types of NEMA enclosures for industrial electronics and instrumentation panels?

Also, any enclosure is going to screw with your temperature sensors...Is it general practice to encase temperature sensors? Are you calibrating them after they are encased? Does the interior temperature of the case need to change simultaneously with the ambient temperature?

If all you want to measure is the temperature inside the ore pile there may be a different solution: change your design parameters.

Do not use wireless telemetry. If you remove that requirement, then your ore temperature may be monitored by a simple temperature sensor on a cable. Then you only need the sensor itself and its cable to be heat and acid-resistant.

I was going to suggest stainless steel as it is a great heat conductor and is resistant to acids. What purity of Sulfuric acid are you dealing with? That stuff is tricky... The lower the purity the nastier it is.

Stainless steel may meet the corrosive environment requirement, but blocks but blocks RF data telemetry. I like Danger's "Corning Glassware" suggestion.

How big is your setup? Is it just a simple probe? It'd be nice if we could see the design or setup you are thinking of. What about high density polyethylene? The average melting point for HDPE is around 120-130 degrees Celsius. Unless you were to use Pyrex like danger said.

Related to Acid resistant, heat conductive electronics enclosure

1. What is an "acid resistant, heat conductive electronics enclosure"?

An "acid resistant, heat conductive electronics enclosure" is a protective casing designed to house electronic components and protect them from corrosive substances, such as acids, while also providing efficient heat transfer to prevent overheating.

2. What materials are commonly used to make acid resistant, heat conductive electronics enclosures?

Materials such as stainless steel, aluminum, and composites are often used to make acid resistant, heat conductive electronics enclosures. These materials have high resistance to acids and good thermal conductivity, making them ideal for this purpose.

3. What industries typically use acid resistant, heat conductive electronics enclosures?

Industries that work with corrosive substances, such as chemical, pharmaceutical, and oil and gas industries, often use acid resistant, heat conductive electronics enclosures to protect their sensitive electronic equipment. They are also commonly used in laboratory environments and for outdoor applications.

4. How do acid resistant, heat conductive electronics enclosures protect electronic components?

These enclosures are designed to have a high level of resistance to acids, preventing them from corroding or damaging the electronic components inside. They also have good heat conductivity, which helps to dissipate heat and prevent overheating of the components.

5. Can acid resistant, heat conductive electronics enclosures withstand extreme temperatures?

Yes, many acid resistant, heat conductive electronics enclosures are designed to withstand extreme temperatures, both high and low. This makes them suitable for use in a wide range of environments and applications, including those with extreme temperature fluctuations.