Acidity of Isobutane: pKa Value & Kb Calculation

• Thread starter sciencegem
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of Ka and Kb values for isobutane, a weak acid, in a dilute solution. The high pKa value of 71 and the resulting extremely large Kb value raise questions about the functionality of isobutane as a base. The concept of the leveling effect is mentioned, where very strong acids and bases in water solutions dominate the dissociation process and render the pKa/pKb values of weaker acids and bases irrelevant. These high pKa/pKb values can be used to predict reactions in organic chemistry, but their accuracy is limited.
sciencegem

Homework Statement

Don't want to give too many details, but a homework question gives a pKa value for isobutane (CH3)3CH as 71. I'm obviously missing something because when I try to calculate Kb out of curiosity I get an astoundingly large value (especially considering I don't even see how isobutane could be a base!).

Homework Equations

Ka = 10^(-pKa)

Kw = Ka * Kb

The Attempt at a Solution

The question has the isobutane in a relatively dilute (1e-3 M) solution. I calculated (using the equations above) Ka to be 1e-71, an extremely weak acid which makes sense to me, but then if I use that value in the second equation, I get Kb = Kw/Ka = 1e57. That can't be right! How would isobutane even function as a base, not to mention that's a ridiculously enormous value of Kb. What am I missing? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Kw=Ka*Kb works for water solutions, and even then not for very weak and very strong acids.

Very strong acid will simply fully dissociate protonating water to H3O+ and H3O+ will be the only acid present - so it is the strongest possible acid in water solutions. This is called "leveling effect". Similarly, no base can be stronger than OH-. For a very weak acid (like isobutane) presence of a much stronger acid (water itself) means its pKa doesn't matter (in water solutions).

Such very high values of pKa/pKb can be used to predict what happens in organic chemistry, when substances react in other solvents in water. While they help give some qualitative predictions, this is quite handwavy.

Likes sciencegem
Borek said:
Kw=Ka*Kb works for water solutions, and even then not for very weak and very strong acids.

Very strong acid will simply fully dissociate protonating water to H3O+ and H3O+ will be the only acid present - so it is the strongest possible acid in water solutions. This is called "leveling effect". Similarly, no base can be stronger than OH-. For a very weak acid (like isobutane) presence of a much stronger acid (water itself) means its pKa doesn't matter (in water solutions).

Such very high values of pKa/pKb can be used to predict what happens in organic chemistry, when substances react in other solvents in water. While they help give some qualitative predictions, this is quite handwavy.
Perfect. Thanks so much!

1. What is the pKa value of isobutane?

The pKa value of isobutane is approximately 50. This indicates that isobutane is a very weak acid and has a low tendency to donate a proton.

2. How is the pKa value of isobutane determined?

The pKa value of isobutane can be experimentally determined by measuring the equilibrium constant for the dissociation reaction of isobutane in water. This can be done using a variety of techniques, such as titration or spectrophotometry.

3. What is the significance of the pKa value in determining the acidity of isobutane?

The pKa value is a measure of the strength of an acid. A lower pKa value indicates a stronger acid, while a higher pKa value indicates a weaker acid. In the case of isobutane, its high pKa value indicates that it is a very weak acid and has a low tendency to donate a proton.

4. How does the acidity of isobutane compare to other hydrocarbons?

Compared to other hydrocarbons, isobutane is relatively acidic. However, it is still considered a very weak acid compared to other organic compounds that contain more electronegative elements, such as oxygen or nitrogen.

5. Can the Kb value of isobutane be calculated from its pKa value?

Yes, the Kb (base dissociation constant) value of isobutane can be calculated from its pKa value using the relationship: Kb = 10^(-pKa). This value represents the strength of isobutane as a base, or its ability to accept a proton in a chemical reaction.