Experimenting with Acids & Bases: DeltaH, Dissociation & Bond Strength

In summary, the speaker conducted an experiment using a strong acid (HCl) and strong base (NaOH) as well as a weak acid (ethanoic) and strong base (NaOH). They compared the heat of energy for both reactions using the formula deltaH= mcT and found that the reaction with the strong acid had a greater heat of energy than the reaction with the weak acid. The speaker is unsure of why this is and is seeking clarification on the differences between weak and strong acids in terms of dissociation and bond strengths. They also mentioned that weak acids are not completely dissociated.
ditto_299
I did an experiment with

a) strong acid (HCl) and strong base (NaOH)

b) weak acid (ethanoic) and strong base (NaOH)

so, I am looking at the heat of energy for both the reactions, and so i found that reaction a had a greater heat of energy was that of the reaction b) weak acid and strong base, (using the formula deltaH= mcT)

why would this be, in terms of dissociation or bond strenghths? i know that acids completely dissociate, but not too sure about the difference between weak acid and strong acid... help please!

Physics news on Phys.org
Show your numbers.

Weak acids are not completely dissociated.

ditto_299 said:
I did an experiment with

a) strong acid (HCl) and strong base (NaOH)

b) weak acid (ethanoic) and strong base (NaOH)

so, I am looking at the heat of energy for both the reactions, and so i found that reaction a had a greater heat of energy was that of the reaction b) weak acid and strong base, (using the formula deltaH= mcT)

why would this be, in terms of dissociation or bond strenghths? i know that acids completely dissociate, but not too sure about the difference between weak acid and strong acid... help please!

Are you neutralizing here? What are the values that you got?

1. What is the purpose of experimenting with acids and bases?

The purpose of experimenting with acids and bases is to understand the properties and behavior of these substances, as well as their effects on other substances. This can help us predict and control chemical reactions and their outcomes.

2. What is DeltaH and why is it important in acid-base experiments?

DeltaH, or enthalpy change, is the amount of heat released or absorbed during a chemical reaction. In acid-base experiments, DeltaH can help us determine the strength of a bond between an acid and a base, as well as the overall energy change of the reaction.

3. How does dissociation play a role in acid-base experiments?

Dissociation refers to the breaking apart of a compound into its constituent ions. In acid-base experiments, dissociation is important because it allows us to measure the concentration of hydrogen ions (H+) or hydroxide ions (OH-) in a solution, which can help us determine the strength of an acid or base.

4. What is bond strength and how does it relate to acids and bases?

Bond strength refers to the amount of energy required to break a bond between two atoms. In acid-base experiments, bond strength is important because it can help us understand the stability and reactivity of different acids and bases. Stronger bonds are more difficult to break and therefore, stronger acids and bases tend to have more stable molecules.

5. How can we apply our findings from acid-base experiments in real-world situations?

The findings from acid-base experiments have many practical applications in industries such as agriculture, medicine, and manufacturing. For example, understanding the behavior of acids and bases can help in the production of fertilizers, pharmaceuticals, and cleaning products. It can also aid in the treatment of acid-base imbalances in the human body. Additionally, this knowledge can be used in environmental studies to monitor and regulate acid rain and other forms of pollution.