Why Are My Tensor Products Not Adding Up Correctly?

In summary, the conversation discusses ways of representing the tensor product of two quantum states, |1,-1> and |1,0>. One way is through the use of Clebsch-Gordan coefficients, while the other involves breaking down the states into smaller components. However, when trying to add these components together, the result does not match the original state. Further examination is needed to determine where the reasoning breaks down.
Jim Kata
Say I wanted to tensor [tex]|1,-1> \otimes |1,0> [/tex] Then looking at the Clebsch Gordons I get [tex] |1,-1> \otimes |1,0> = \frac{1}{\sqrt {2}}|2,-1> - \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}|1,-1>[/tex]
When I try to do this another way I run into a problem that I don't understand.

[tex] |1,0> = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} (|\frac{1}{2}, \frac{1}{2}> \otimes |\frac{1}{2},-\frac{1}{2}> + |\frac{1}{2},-\frac{1}{2}> \otimes |\frac{1}{2},\frac{1}{2}>) [/tex]

So

[tex]|1,-1> \otimes |1,0> = |1,-1> \otimes ( \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} (|\frac{1}{2}, \frac{1}{2}> \otimes |\frac{1}{2},-\frac{1}{2}> + |\frac{1}{2},-\frac{1}{2}> \otimes |\frac{1}{2},\frac{1}{2}>))[/tex]

Going through this I get

[tex]|1,-1>\otimes|\frac{1}{2},\frac{1}{2}>\otimes|\frac{1}{2},-\frac{1}{2}>
=(\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}|\frac{3}{2},-\frac{1}{2}> -\sqrt{\frac{2}{3}}|\frac{1}{2},-\frac{1}{2}>)\otimes|\frac{1}{2},-\frac{1}{2}>=\frac{1}{2}|2,-1> +(\frac{\sqrt{3}}{6}-\sqrt{\frac{2}{3}})|1,-1> [/tex]

similarly I get

[tex] |1,-1>\otimes|\frac{1}{2},-\frac{1}{2}>\otimes|\frac{1}{2},\frac{1}{2}>=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}|2,-1>-\frac{1}{2}|1,-1>[/tex]

but when I add these two I don't get

[tex] |1,0> = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} (|\frac{1}{2}, \frac{1}{2}> \otimes |\frac{1}{2},-\frac{1}{2}> + |\frac{1}{2},-\frac{1}{2}> \otimes |\frac{1}{2},\frac{1}{2}>) [/tex]

What am I doing wrong? Where does my reasoning break down?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jim Kata said:
similarly I get

[tex] |1,-1>\otimes|\frac{1}{2},-\frac{1}{2}>\otimes|\frac{1}{2},\frac{1}{2}>=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}|2,-1>-\frac{1}{2}|1,-1>[/tex]
That's incorrect,
$$
|1,-1 \rangle \otimes|\frac{1}{2},-\frac{1}{2}\rangle\otimes|\frac{1}{2},\frac{1}{2}\rangle= \frac{1}{2} |2,-1\rangle - \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}|1,-1 \rangle
$$

1. What is angular momentum and why is it important?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that measures the rotational motion of an object. It is important because it helps us understand the rotational behavior of objects and is a fundamental concept in physics and engineering.

2. How is angular momentum calculated?

Angular momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's moment of inertia (a measure of its resistance to rotational motion) by its angular velocity (the rate at which it rotates).

3. How can angular momentum be added?

Angular momentum can be added by either increasing an object's moment of inertia (such as by extending its radius) or by increasing its angular velocity.

4. What is the principle of conservation of angular momentum?

The principle of conservation of angular momentum states that the total angular momentum of a closed system remains constant, unless acted upon by an external torque. This means that angular momentum cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred between objects.

5. How does angular momentum affect the stability of rotating objects?

Angular momentum plays a crucial role in the stability of rotating objects. The greater the angular momentum, the more difficult it is to change the rotational motion of an object. This is why spinning tops and gyroscopes can maintain their balance and stability even when acted upon by external forces.