How do I add percentage uncertainty when calculating an average?

• Thread starter ultimatebusta
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Uncertainty
In summary, percentage uncertainty is a measure of error or uncertainty in a measurement, expressed as a percentage of the measured value. It is calculated by dividing the uncertainty by the measured value and multiplying by 100%. Adding percentage uncertainty is important for a more accurate representation of total uncertainty in a measurement. It cannot be negative, as it represents potential error. In scientific experiments, it is used to calculate overall uncertainty and compare precision and accuracy of measuring instruments, as well as in reporting and analyzing results.
ultimatebusta

Homework Statement

I currently want to add 2 percent each with a relative uncertainty together:
[tex]\frac{53.3\% +/- 1\% + 65.8\% +/- 1\%}{2}[/tex]

I'm not sure how I can add the percentage uncertainty.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've concluded that the average is 59.55%, however I'm unsure about how to handling adding the percentage uncertainty.

Physics news on Phys.org
When you are adding and subtracting, you add the uncertainties together. In this case you get +/- 2%. Don't forget to divide this by 2 as well.

1. What is percentage uncertainty?

Percentage uncertainty is a measure of the amount of error or uncertainty in a measurement. It is expressed as a percentage of the measured value.

2. How is percentage uncertainty calculated?

To calculate percentage uncertainty, you divide the uncertainty of the measurement by the measured value and multiply by 100%. The formula is (uncertainty/measured value) x 100%.

3. Why is adding percentage uncertainty important?

Adding percentage uncertainty allows for a more accurate representation of the total uncertainty in a measurement. It takes into account both the precision of the measurement and the accuracy of the measuring instrument.

4. Can percentage uncertainty be negative?

No, percentage uncertainty cannot be negative. It is always expressed as a positive value, since uncertainty is a measure of potential error or deviation from the true value.

5. How is percentage uncertainty used in scientific experiments?

Percentage uncertainty is often used to calculate the overall uncertainty in a series of measurements or to compare the precision and accuracy of different measuring instruments. It is also important in reporting and analyzing experimental results.