Adding up capacitors in series/parelle, the book got a slighty diff answer?

In summary, the individual is asking for clarification on a problem involving capacitors, providing a link to their work and problem. They mention a technique for adding capacitors in series and parallel, and question the rounding of results in a book. Others offer suggestions and the individual confirms their technique was correct for a similar problem with inductors.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone, I'm confused on why I'm missing this problem. Here is my work and problem:
http://suprfile.com/src/1/25o5ux/lastscan.jpg

Any ideas?
I know you add up capitors in series like
(c1)(c2)/(c1+c2)

in parellel
c1 + c2 +...+cn

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
it seems to book has rounded down the result!

mr_coffee said:
Hello everyone, I'm confused on why I'm missing this problem. Here is my work and problem:
http://suprfile.com/src/1/25o5ux/lastscan.jpg

Any ideas?
I know you add up capitors in series like
(c1)(c2)/(c1+c2)

in parellel
c1 + c2 +...+cn

I am presuming the book is using significant digits. Even though it isn't correct most books would interpret "10" as having two digits.

-Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't even figure out what "problem" you're trying to solve here. I just see a bunch of different chains of capacitors and a bunch of math scrawled everywhere.

- Warren

I'm assuming you require the sum capacitance?

I suggest working out the value in full, without rounding at any stage.

Thanks everyone, i was just making sure my technique was right which it was and i did the next problem with inductors and it worked out fine.

1. How do I add up capacitors in series?

To add up capacitors in series, you simply add the values of the capacitors together. This means that the total capacitance will be the sum of each individual capacitor's capacitance. For example, if you have three capacitors with values of 2μF, 3μF, and 5μF, the total capacitance in series would be 10μF (2μF + 3μF + 5μF).

2. Can I add capacitors in parallel?

Yes, capacitors can also be added in parallel. In this case, the total capacitance will be the sum of the reciprocals of each individual capacitor's capacitance. This means that the total capacitance will be larger than the individual capacitance values. For example, if you have the same three capacitors from the previous question, the total capacitance in parallel would be 1/(1/2 + 1/3 + 1/5) = 30/11 ≈ 2.73μF.

3. Why did the book give a slightly different answer for adding capacitors in series/parallel?

There are different ways of calculating the total capacitance in a circuit, and some methods may yield slightly different results. It is also possible that there was a rounding error in the book's calculation. It is important to understand the principles behind adding capacitors in series and parallel, rather than focusing on getting an exact answer.

4. Do all capacitors in a series/parallel circuit have the same voltage?

No, the voltage across each capacitor in a series/parallel circuit can be different. In a series circuit, the voltage is divided between each capacitor based on their individual capacitance values. In a parallel circuit, all capacitors have the same voltage, but the total voltage across the circuit may be different depending on the individual capacitance values.

5. Can I mix capacitors with different values in a series/parallel circuit?

Yes, you can mix capacitors with different values in a series/parallel circuit. However, it is important to note that the total capacitance will be affected by the values of the individual capacitors. It is best to use capacitors with similar values in a series/parallel circuit for more accurate results.