1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Adiabatic mixing of airstreams

1. Jan 6, 2010 #1
    I'm having a lot of trouble with an adiabatic mixing process.
    This is what I know:
    There's an airstream coming from outside and its temperature is T1=5 'C, its relative humidity being [tex]\varphi[/tex]1= 90% at a rate of 20 m3/min.
    Another airstream is coming from inside and its temperature is T2= 25 ´C, relative humidity [tex]\varphi[/tex]2= 50%, at the rate of 20 m3/min.
    The airstreams are mixed in a chamber with the pressure p = 1 bar.
    I should find the densities of the first and second mixtures (meaning the airstreams including the water). This I've accomplished, the densities being [tex]\rho[/tex]1=1.249 kg/m3 and [tex]\rho[/tex]2= 1.162 kg/m3. I've also found the mass rates for the water in both streams; [tex]^{.}[/tex]mw1= 2.0 g/s and m[tex]^{.}[/tex]w2= 3.8 g/s.

What I havent been able to find is this: the specific humidity [tex]\omega[/tex]3 of the mixed airstreams. I simply don't know what to do: I've tried finding first the specific humidities of the airstreams before mixing and stuff like that, but I just can't get the right result! This is what it should be: [tex]\omega[/tex]3= 7.36*10-3 kg H2O/kg air.

Can someone please help me?

I should also find the temperature after mixing, as well as the new relative humidity, but I don't know how to do that either...

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted