Adiabatic mixing of airstreams

In summary, the conversation discusses an adiabatic mixing process involving two airstreams with different temperatures, relative humidities, and flow rates. The density and mass rates of the mixed airstreams have been calculated, but the specific humidity and final temperature and relative humidity need to be determined. A formula for molar density of a gas is provided, along with information on equilibrium vapor pressure and partial pressure of water vapor in the streams. Using these values, the specific humidity of the mixed airstreams is found to be 0.00734 kg/kg.
Appa
I'm having a lot of trouble with an adiabatic mixing process.
This is what I know:
There's an airstream coming from outside and its temperature is T1=5 'C, its relative humidity being [tex]\varphi[/tex]1= 90% at a rate of 20 m3/min.
Another airstream is coming from inside and its temperature is T2= 25 ´C, relative humidity [tex]\varphi[/tex]2= 50%, at the rate of 20 m3/min.
The airstreams are mixed in a chamber with the pressure p = 1 bar.
I should find the densities of the first and second mixtures (meaning the airstreams including the water). This I've accomplished, the densities being [tex]\rho[/tex]1=1.249 kg/m3 and [tex]\rho[/tex]2= 1.162 kg/m3. I've also found the mass rates for the water in both streams; [tex]^{.}[/tex]mw1= 2.0 g/s and m[tex]^{.}[/tex]w2= 3.8 g/s.

What I haven't been able to find is this: the specific humidity [tex]\omega[/tex]3 of the mixed airstreams. I simply don't know what to do: I've tried finding first the specific humidities of the airstreams before mixing and stuff like that, but I just can't get the right result! This is what it should be: [tex]\omega[/tex]3= 7.36*10-3 kg H2O/kg air.

Can someone please help me?

I should also find the temperature after mixing, as well as the new relative humidity, but I don't know how to do that either...

Physics news on Phys.org
The molar density of a gas is given by the equation $$\rho=\frac{P}{RT}$$At 25 C and 1 bar, this is equal to 40.36 moles/m^3 and at 5 C and 1 bar, it is equal to 43.27 moles/m^3.

At 5 C, the equilibrium vapor pressure of water is 0.0087 bars, and at 25 C, it is 0.0317 bars. So, for the 5 C stream, at 90% humidity, the partial pressure of water vapor is (0.0087)(0.9)=0.0078 bars, and, for the 25 C stream, at 50% humidity, the partial pressure of water vapor is 0.0159 bars. These are also the mole fractions of the water vapor in the streams (since the total pressure is 1 bar).

The molar flow rate of the 5C air stream is (20)(42.27)=845.4 moles/minute, and the molar flow rate of the 25 C stream is (20)(40.36) = 807.2 moles/min. The water vapor flow rate in the 5 C stream is (845.4)(0.0078)=6.59 moles/min, and the water vapor flow rate in the 25C steam is (807.2)(0.0159)=12.83 moles/min. So that total molar flow rate of water vapor is 6.59 + 12.83 = 19.43 moles/min and the total flow rate of combined air is 845.4 + 807.2 = 1661.4 moles/min. So the mole fraction water vapor in the combined stream is 19.43/1661.4 = 0.0117 .

Taking as a basis 1 mole of air, the mass of water vapor is (0.0117)(18) = 0.211 gm and the mass of bone dry air is (1-0.0117)(29)=28.66 gm. So the specific humidity is 0.211/28.66 = 0.00734 kg/kg.

This agrees with the answer provided.

Likes Greg Bernhardt

1. What is adiabatic mixing of airstreams?

Adiabatic mixing of airstreams is a process in which two or more air streams of different temperatures and humidity levels are brought together and mix without any heat transfer (i.e. without gaining or losing heat to the surroundings).

2. Why is adiabatic mixing of airstreams important?

Adiabatic mixing of airstreams is important in various industrial and environmental applications. It is used to control the temperature and humidity levels of air in buildings, ventilation systems, and industrial processes. It is also crucial in meteorology for understanding weather patterns and air mass interactions.

3. How does adiabatic mixing of airstreams occur?

Adiabatic mixing of airstreams occurs when two or more air streams of different temperatures and humidity levels come into contact with each other. The two streams mix and reach a final temperature and humidity level that is a combination of the initial conditions of the individual streams.

4. What are the factors that affect adiabatic mixing of airstreams?

The main factors that affect adiabatic mixing of airstreams are the initial temperature and humidity levels of the individual streams, the velocity of the streams, and the mixing distance. Other factors that can influence the process include the shape and size of the mixing chamber and any obstacles or barriers that may impede the mixing process.

5. How is adiabatic mixing of airstreams different from other types of mixing?

Adiabatic mixing of airstreams is different from other types of mixing, such as conductive or convective mixing, because it does not involve any heat transfer. The mixing occurs solely due to the physical movement and interaction of the air streams. This makes it a more energy-efficient process and is often preferred in applications where temperature control is critical.