Aerospace engineering vs. Mechanical engineering

In summary, the conversation is about a person entering first year university in aerospace engineering and wondering about job opportunities in both aerospace and mechanical engineering. They have heard that the job market for aerospace engineering is limited in Canada and are considering switching to mechanical engineering. Another person in the conversation shares their experience of getting a degree in mechanical engineering and then pursuing a master's in aerospace to have more job options. They also mention the importance of considering personal interests and the job market in choosing a degree. The conversation also touches on the difficulty of finding a job in the aerospace field without experience and the possibility of having to relocate for job opportunities.
samirax
Hi everyone.

I am entering first year university in aerospace engineering, and since I've heard that job positions are limited in Canada in aero filed, I am wondering if i will be able to work in some mechanical engineering position after i get my degree. ( I know that these two are similar, and even some MEs are able to work on space industry afterward. ) I'd really appreciate it if someone helps me. I really like my program, but i would think of switching into mechanical if there will be a hard time getting a job when i finish school.

and also, does anyone know how the job market is in aerospace engineering in Canada?! I currently live in Ottawa, but I would welcome relocating as well.

Thanks.

Samir

Physics news on Phys.org
I got my bachelors degree in ME specifically for this reason after talking to aerospace engineers at an internship. With the market as it is today, I'm very glad I did because I can always fall back on it. I stayed and got an MS in aerospace, so that I could also work in that field. You can certainly do the same plan I did, but you will have to learn a lot of aerospace on your own in grad school to catch up if you want to be good.

There is also the factor that I took a few aero electives in undergrad, and I loved them. While that might seem like a good thing, the problem was I then had disdain for the rest of my ME courses. I would have had much more fun in the aero department as an undergrad. So do forget to weigh in the missery factor.

But, then again, I can always fall back on an HVAC job in rough times...so in some ways that 'pain' was worth it.

Thanks for the information,

Are you working in aerospace field now? was it hard to find a job right after you got your degree? I have heard that it is really challenging finding a job without at least 3 years of experience...

Thank you again :)

Anyways as to the actual topic of your post, that's the exact reason I went ME or Aero. Though make sure you can actually get said aero electives, my school conveniently only offered them when I couldn't possibly take them and I'm still curious about the subject. From what I've noticed, there are jobs in the aerospace field, its just more of a matter of where you want to live. If you like the Los Angles area, for instance, I bet you could find something, but if you're trying to get a job near your home town don't bet on it.

Hello Samir,

Thank you for reaching out and sharing your concerns about the job market in aerospace engineering. It is understandable to have these questions and considerations as you begin your studies in this field.

Firstly, let me assure you that both aerospace engineering and mechanical engineering are highly sought after and valuable fields in the industry. While there may be some differences in the specific job opportunities available, both fields offer a wide range of career options and opportunities for growth.

In terms of job prospects, the aerospace industry in Canada is thriving and there is a growing demand for skilled professionals in this field. Canada has a strong presence in the global aerospace market and is home to several major companies, such as Bombardier and Pratt & Whitney, that offer a variety of job opportunities in the aerospace sector.

As for your concern about being able to work in a mechanical engineering position after completing your aerospace engineering degree, I would say that it is definitely possible. The two fields have a lot of overlap in terms of skills and knowledge, and many aerospace engineers are also able to work in mechanical engineering roles. In fact, many aerospace engineering programs also cover topics in mechanical engineering, giving you a solid foundation in both areas.

Ultimately, I would encourage you to continue pursuing your passion for aerospace engineering. With hard work and dedication, you will have a strong chance of finding employment in this field. However, if you do decide to switch to mechanical engineering, know that it is also a rewarding and in-demand field with many job opportunities available.

I wish you all the best in your studies and future career endeavors.

Best,

What is the main difference between Aerospace Engineering and Mechanical Engineering?

The main difference between aerospace engineering and mechanical engineering is the focus of their applications. Aerospace engineering is focused on the design and development of aircraft, spacecraft, and missiles, while mechanical engineering is focused on the design and development of mechanical systems and machines.

Which field has more job opportunities, Aerospace Engineering or Mechanical Engineering?

Both aerospace engineering and mechanical engineering have a high demand for skilled professionals. However, the aerospace industry is smaller compared to the broader mechanical engineering industry, which means there may be more job opportunities in mechanical engineering overall.

What are the educational requirements for Aerospace Engineering and Mechanical Engineering?

Both Aerospace Engineering and Mechanical Engineering require a Bachelor's degree in engineering. However, Aerospace Engineering may also require a Master's degree for more advanced positions.

What skills are necessary for a career in Aerospace Engineering and Mechanical Engineering?

Some key skills that are necessary for a career in Aerospace Engineering include knowledge of aerodynamics, propulsion systems, and materials science. For Mechanical Engineering, skills in mechanics, thermodynamics, and design are important. Both fields also require strong analytical, problem-solving, and communication skills.

Can someone with a degree in Aerospace Engineering work in the Mechanical Engineering field and vice versa?

While there may be some overlap in the coursework and skills required for both fields, it may be more difficult for someone with a degree in Aerospace Engineering to transition to a career in Mechanical Engineering and vice versa. However, with additional training and experience, it is possible to make the shift between the two fields.