Aerospace Engineering vs. Mechanical Engineering

In summary, the individual is a high school junior who has always wanted to be an Aerospace engineer but is now considering a Mechanical engineering degree due to concerns about employment opportunities in the aviation industry. They are interested in a job dealing with airflow and are wondering if a Mechanical engineering degree would provide more opportunities. They are seeking advice on whether to pursue Aerospace or Mechanical engineering.
JClinton
Hi, I am currently a high school junior and I've wanted to be an Aerospace engineer for a long time. But I recently began to wonder if i could do just as well or better with a Mechanical degree. I would like to have a job dealing with airflow (fluid dynamics, aeroelasticity, structural analysis, etc.) whether it be in the aerospace industry or other vehicular industry such as automotive, or perhaps in propulsion. My concern lies with the current employment outlook since the aviation industry is slow and was wondering if, since the Mechanical engineering degree is more broad, I would have more employment opportunities with a Mechanical engineering degree and therefore be better off. So I guess my question is: Should I go with Aerospace or Mechanical given my ideal occupational area? Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.

Note: I would graduate with the BS/BE in spring of 2016.

Physics news on Phys.org
With a degree in mechanical engineering, you will be ready to get involved with fluid dynamics and structural analysis to as high a level as you desire in many different industries.

i think Mechanical engineering is quite amazing for what you need. Dealing with fluid dynamics system. Even some students of mechanical eng from many universities in the world which don't have aero-eng department, have dealed with many researches on rocketry and some other aeronautic technologies for their thesises.

but if you like fligth stability control-system, designs, etc, I think it would be aeronautic then.

Good luck JClinton,

1. What is the main difference between Aerospace Engineering and Mechanical Engineering?

The main difference between Aerospace Engineering and Mechanical Engineering is their focus. Aerospace Engineering deals with the design, development, and construction of aircraft and spacecraft, while Mechanical Engineering deals with the design, development, and construction of various mechanical systems and devices.

2. Can Aerospace Engineers work as Mechanical Engineers and vice versa?

Yes, with the right qualifications and experience, Aerospace Engineers can work as Mechanical Engineers and vice versa. However, they may require additional training or education to specialize in the other field.

3. Are the job opportunities and salaries different for Aerospace Engineers and Mechanical Engineers?

While both Aerospace Engineers and Mechanical Engineers have a wide range of job opportunities, the industries they work in and the salaries they earn may vary. Aerospace Engineers often work in the aerospace industry, while Mechanical Engineers can work in various industries such as automotive, manufacturing, and energy. Salaries may also differ depending on the specific job role and location.

4. Is one field more challenging than the other?

Both Aerospace Engineering and Mechanical Engineering require a strong understanding of math, physics, and other sciences. However, Aerospace Engineering may be seen as more challenging due to its focus on highly complex and advanced systems such as aircraft and spacecraft.

5. Can Aerospace Engineers and Mechanical Engineers work together on projects?

Yes, Aerospace Engineers and Mechanical Engineers often work together on projects that involve both aerospace and mechanical components. Their collaboration is essential in developing efficient and effective systems that meet the requirements and standards of the aerospace industry.