Air equivalent of rail gun possible?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using the principle of a rail gun in air to create propulsion if energy was not an issue. The idea is to charge the air on either side of an object and have it move in a similar manner to a rail gun projectile. The concept is compared to an ionocraft, which uses different principles for movement. The conversation also mentions the use of ions to induce the flow of electrons and create a "rail" out of air for propulsion.
thematrixiam
If a rail gun works by having an object that moves along a path, where either side has opposite charge, could that same principle be applied in air?

I am not talking about an ion thruster, that already exists. I am saying, if wasting energy was not an issue, could it be possible to charge the air on either side of an object , allowing for movement across the bottom in the same manner that occurs with the rain gun, and have it gain propulsion from that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmmm, not sure if I read that right, but it looks like that ionocraft uses slightly different principles.

It looks like the movement comes from the ions moving from the wire to collecter.

The picture shows the wires as being above the collector. So they would move in a downward motion.

A rail gun does not work that way, from my understanding. A rail gun is created by using a negative and positive rail. It has a flow of electrons moving across the projectile.

The reason I mentioned Ions, is I figured the air could be charged with negative and positive ions at either side and use that to induce the flow of electrons. Basically, a rail gun projectile that produces it's own rail out of air.

1. Can air be used as a propellant for a rail gun?

Yes, air can be used as a propellant for a rail gun. This is known as an air-assisted rail gun or ram accelerator. It works by using compressed air to accelerate the projectile along the rails, providing an additional boost of speed.

2. How does the air equivalent of a rail gun compare to traditional rail guns?

The air equivalent of a rail gun can potentially achieve higher velocities than traditional rail guns. This is because the compressed air can provide a continuous force, whereas traditional rail guns rely on a short burst of electricity to propel the projectile.

3. What are the potential benefits of using an air equivalent rail gun?

Some potential benefits of using an air equivalent rail gun include reduced energy consumption, less wear and tear on the rails, and the ability to launch projectiles at higher velocities.

4. Are there any limitations to using air as a propellant for a rail gun?

One limitation is that the compressed air must be replenished after each shot, which can take time and limit the rate of fire. There may also be challenges with maintaining a consistent level of compression and ensuring the air is free of moisture or contaminants.

5. Has a successful air equivalent rail gun been developed and tested?

There have been various prototypes and experiments with air equivalent rail guns, but a fully functioning and commercially viable version has not yet been developed and tested. The technology is still in its early stages and further research and development is needed before it can be widely implemented.