Air pressure difference in inside and outside of house

In summary, the pressure on the outside close to the Earth is defined by the mass of air/surface and is known as atmosphere pressure (101 325 Pa). This same pressure is also present in your house, despite there being less air, due to the force of air pressing down on the roof and creating an equal force inside. This can be visualized by picturing the air as a pile of bricks on a weighing scale, with the roof acting as a thin piece of paper between two bricks. Placing a bathroom scale at the bottom of a pool would read the same weight as above the pool, but if someone were to stand on the scale, the weight would be different.
fsb257
Pressure is defined like FORCE/SURFACE [Pa] so the outside pressure close to the Earth is atmosphere pressure (101 325 Pa) defined by the mass of air/surface.Why is the same pressure in my house? There isn't much air like in outside...Thanks for the potential answer an sorry for the bad english.

Physics news on Phys.org
Good question, should be asked by anyone who thinks about air pressure.

Air pressure of 100kPa is about 10 tons/m^2
The walls of your house can't withstand this sort of pressure, the are like the soft walls of a balloon.
So the huge force of the air pressing down on the roof also presses down on the air inside to give the same force.

Picture the air like a pile of bricks on a weighing scale, now put a thin piece of paper between two of the brick to represent the roof of the house, it doesn't change the weight on the scale.

If i put a bathroom scale on the bottom of a pool , would the scale read greater less or the same , it would read the same .

cragar said:
If i put a bathroom scale on the bottom of a pool , would the scale read greater less or the same , it would read the same .

Not if you're standing on it.
Above the pool, your weight read, say, 150.
Bottom of pool your weight reads, say, 75 or possibly much less.

But I think you were just talking about the scale itself.

The same pressure in your house is due to the concept of equilibrium. When there is a difference in pressure between the inside and outside of a house, air will naturally move from the higher pressure area to the lower pressure area until the pressures are equalized. This is known as the principle of equalization of pressure.

In your house, the walls, windows, and doors act as barriers to prevent air from moving freely in and out. This creates a closed system where air molecules continuously collide with each other, creating a uniform pressure throughout the space. As a result, the pressure inside your house will eventually equalize with the pressure outside, even though there may be less air inside compared to the outside environment.

Additionally, the temperature inside your house can also affect the air pressure. Hot air has a higher pressure compared to cold air, so if your house is warmer than the outside, the pressure inside will be slightly higher. However, this difference is usually negligible and does not significantly impact the overall pressure equilibrium.

I hope this explanation helps to clarify the concept of air pressure in your house. Keep in mind that air pressure is constantly changing due to various factors such as weather patterns and altitude, but the principle of equalization of pressure remains the same.

1. What causes air pressure difference between the inside and outside of a house?

The main cause of air pressure difference between the inside and outside of a house is the difference in temperature and air density. When the temperature inside the house is different from the outside, air molecules will move from areas of high pressure to low pressure, creating a pressure difference.

2. How does air pressure difference affect the comfort level inside a house?

Air pressure difference can affect the comfort level inside a house by causing drafts, uneven heating or cooling, and making it difficult for doors and windows to open or close. It can also affect the efficiency of heating and cooling systems, leading to higher energy bills.

3. Can air pressure difference in a house be dangerous?

In most cases, air pressure difference in a house is not dangerous. However, in extreme cases, it can lead to structural damage or even cause doors and windows to blow out. It is important to maintain proper ventilation and air flow to prevent excessive pressure difference.

4. How can I measure air pressure difference in my house?

Air pressure difference can be measured using a tool called a manometer. This device measures the difference in air pressure between two points and can be used to determine the pressure difference between the inside and outside of a house. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper use.

5. How can I balance the air pressure difference in my house?

To balance air pressure difference in a house, it is important to ensure proper ventilation and air flow. This can be achieved by using exhaust fans, opening windows and doors, and installing air vents. It may also be helpful to seal any air leaks and insulate the house to maintain a consistent temperature.