1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Airplane propeller and plane's velocity relative to the ground.

1. May 17, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Airplane propeller and plane's velocity relative to the ground.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An airplane propeller rotates at 2200 rev/min while the airplane flies at a speed of 550 km/h relative to the ground. The plane's velocity is parallel to the propeller's axis of rotation.
    Part a) What is the speed of a point on the tip of the propeller, at radius 1.5 m, as seen by the pilot?

Part b) What is the speed of a point on the tip of the propeller, at radius 1.5 m, as seen by an observer on the ground?

2. Relevant equations
    v=w times r
    v=w times r times sin delta

3. The attempt at a solution
    I got part a asking speed relative to pilot by converting 2200rev/min to m/s, but part b has me stuck...I don't know if I am missing an equation that I could possibly use but I tried to convert the speed relative to ground to m/s and add it to the 345.57m/s I got as the answer for part a.

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2008 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Notice that the linear velocity of the propeller tip is perpendicular to the velocity of the plane.

4. May 17, 2008 #3
    Remembering that how would I relate 550km/hr to the speed seen by the pilot that is what has me confused. It should form a 90 degree angle and be the same as I calculated in a, but that doesn't work...I tried v= w times r times sin delta and it didn't work.

5. May 17, 2008 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The speed is the magnitude of the resultant velocity. How do you normally find the magnitude of two perpendicular vectors?

6. May 17, 2008 #5
    Oh...now I understand this. I would use pythagorean's theorem to get the resultant velocity. Thanks I appreciate your help.

7. May 17, 2008 #6

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Correct! No problem :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?