Alcohol in beer would evaporate extremely slowly in cold temperatures?

In summary, the rate of alcohol evaporation in beer depends on the conditions inside the fridge. In an airtight fridge, it is theoretically possible to lose all the ethanol if the beer has less than 40 g of ethanol in it. However, it would take a long time to reach equilibrium unless the beer is dispersed into an aerosol. After 24 hours, the concentration of alcohol may not be noticeably changed, but after a week it may be affected. To prevent this, it is recommended to cover the beer.
malignant
I'm guessing the alcohol in beer would evaporate extremely slowly in cold temperatures like a fridge. I hear a lot of people say otherwise, so I'm wondering if it even evaporates a noticeable amount in 24 hours?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
It depends on the conditions inside the fridge.

If the fridge is airtight, then the worst-case scenario is that equilibrium is achieved and the entire fridge becomes filled to saturation with ethanol vapors. The vapor pressure of ethanol at 4°C is about 0.02 atmospheres, so if the interior of the fridge has a volume of 1 cubic meter, the amount of ethanol vapor at equilibrium is PV/RT = 0.9 mol, or 40 g. So it is theoretically possible that you could lose all the ethanol as long as your beer has less than 40 g of ethanol in it (probably the case unless you have put a lot of beer in the fridge).

But that is the worst-case scenario, and it will take a long time to achieve equilibrium unless you have dispersed the beer into an aerosol.

I would guess, roughly, that the concentration would not be noticeably changed after 24 hours, but probably would be after a week. Here is an example of a similar (informal) experiment. Of course, you could prevent even this by simply covering the beer.

malignant said:
I'm guessing the alcohol in beer would evaporate extremely slowly in cold temperatures like a fridge. I hear a lot of people say otherwise, so I'm wondering if it even evaporates a noticeable amount in 24 hours?

Is that why it's hard to keep beer in a refrigerator? People drink it up before it evaporates?

Who keeps their beer opened?

Well, in case the alcohol might evaporate thru the can, you want to drink it ASAP.

1. How does temperature affect the evaporation rate of alcohol in beer?

The evaporation rate of alcohol in beer is directly affected by temperature. The lower the temperature, the slower the evaporation rate. In cold temperatures, the molecules in the beer are moving slower, making it more difficult for the alcohol molecules to escape into the air.

2. Does storing beer in a cold environment affect its alcohol content?

Yes, storing beer in a cold environment, such as a refrigerator, can affect its alcohol content. As mentioned before, cold temperatures slow down the evaporation rate of alcohol, which means less alcohol will escape from the beer into the air. This can result in a slightly higher alcohol content in the beer.

3. How long does it take for the alcohol in beer to evaporate in cold temperatures?

There is no exact answer to this question as it depends on various factors such as the specific temperature, the alcohol content of the beer, and the surface area of the beer exposed to the air. However, in general, it can take several hours for a significant amount of alcohol to evaporate in cold temperatures.

4. Can beer be completely alcohol-free if stored in a cold environment for a long time?

No, beer cannot become completely alcohol-free by storing it in a cold environment. While the evaporation rate of alcohol may be slower in cold temperatures, it will not completely stop. Additionally, there is always a small amount of alcohol naturally produced during the fermentation process that cannot be evaporated.

5. Does the type of beer or alcohol content affect the evaporation rate in cold temperatures?

Yes, different types of beer and varying alcohol content can affect the evaporation rate in cold temperatures. Generally, high alcohol content beers or beers with a higher percentage of alcohol will have a slower evaporation rate compared to lower alcohol content beers. This is because there are more alcohol molecules present that need to evaporate.