Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Alcohol in beer would evaporate extremely slowly in cold temperatures?

1. Sep 11, 2013 #1
    I'm guessing the alcohol in beer would evaporate extremely slowly in cold temperatures like a fridge. I hear a lot of people say otherwise, so I'm wondering if it even evaporates a noticeable amount in 24 hours?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2013 #2
    It depends on the conditions inside the fridge.

If the fridge is airtight, then the worst-case scenario is that equilibrium is achieved and the entire fridge becomes filled to saturation with ethanol vapors. The vapor pressure of ethanol at 4°C is about 0.02 atmospheres, so if the interior of the fridge has a volume of 1 cubic meter, the amount of ethanol vapor at equilibrium is PV/RT = 0.9 mol, or 40 g. So it is theoretically possible that you could lose all the ethanol as long as your beer has less than 40 g of ethanol in it (probably the case unless you have put a lot of beer in the fridge).

But that is the worst-case scenario, and it will take a long time to achieve equilibrium unless you have dispersed the beer into an aerosol.

I would guess, roughly, that the concentration would not be noticeably changed after 24 hours, but probably would be after a week. Here is an example of a similar (informal) experiment. Of course, you could prevent even this by simply covering the beer.

4. Sep 11, 2013 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is that why it's hard to keep beer in a refrigerator? People drink it up before it evaporates?

5. Sep 12, 2013 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Who keeps their beer opened?

6. Sep 12, 2013 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, in case the alcohol might evaporate thru the can, you want to drink it ASAP.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook