Algae Carbon Capture: Make Your Own Algae Tank & Absorb CO2

In summary, there is still hope in finding solutions to climate change and one potential option is using algae for carbon capture and fuel production. However, the scale of the problem is large and requires significant resources and expertise. Additionally, algae farming is not a simple task and requires proper equipment and conditions. While it may not have a significant impact on global CO2 levels, it could be economically feasible for fuel production. Ultimately, it is important to think globally and act locally to contribute to the solution.
Ivan Seeking said:
What if all food transportation was carbon neutral?
Can you suggest a system that would be genuinely carbon neutral? Buying carbon credits from someone else is cheating.

Physics news on Phys.org
sophiecentaur said:
Can you suggest a system that would be genuinely carbon neutral? Buying carbon credits from someone else is cheating.
Algae-fuel power.

Have you even read the thread?

Even solar powered eventually.

Rive said:
Sure. But farmers do catching up.
Sorry but I don't understand what that means.

Ivan Seeking said:
Algae-fuel power.

Have you even read the thread?

Even solar powered eventually.
I have been reading a lot of comments here but the only solutions at the moment are not actually carbon neutral when you consider all the factors. The sums are mostly done by enthusiasts, journalists and politicians.

"Eventually" does not solve the present situation. If there are sources of surplus carbon neutral energy they should be directed toward carbon capture and not maintaining our present lifestyle. No one wants even a little pain for - not gain but less loss.

sophiecentaur said:
Sorry but I don't understand what that means.
OK, then an example. (Sorry for the random links.)

Bok choy, straight from China.

Fresh in New York
Local in England

Cooking gone international, and farmers follows it to make ingredients locally.
Of course, some things cannot be grown locally, and right, those (the carbon footprint of their transfer) will remain luxury. But the available variety still increasing. That's why I said that 'medieval diet' is a bit too dramatic.

Last edited:
Rive said:
That's why I said that 'medieval diet' is a bit too dramatic.
Yeah, well. A bit of overstatement never does us any harm. It's true that the climate will change (is changing) and so will the best food plants to grow. We could have some luck in that direction (or maybe bad luck not good).

Humans are pretty inventive so life may not be apocalyptic for us but we really have to acknowledge that life will change and it could be very counterproductive to spend all our effort on maintaining lifestyles. I can't see big business encouraging a modest lifestyle. It will probably be just the same as the tobacco industry which concentrated on profits rather than avoiding deaths.
One enormous snag about high tech food production on a small scale is that it usually needs expensive equipment and chemicals, both of which will be even more expensive as time goes on.

If turnips stop liking it in our latitudes then that will be the same for a lot of other plants. I agree that we need to diversify at the same time as reducing consumption (energy and fancy foods).

sophiecentaur said:
It's true that the climate will change (is changing) and so will the best food plants to grow.
It's not just that. As there is demand, new variants of the plants are developed too. Regarding that bok choy of Chinese origin, we (in Hungary) ordered seeds of a new frost-resistant type from Ireland, to grow them in winter.
International, yeah o0)

sophiecentaur said:
It's true that the climate will change (is changing) and so will the best food plants to grow.
About this, I got some scorn in some local environmental protection groups when I mentioned that OK, right, protecting the old species is important but maybe it's also time to proactively seek species and ecosystems which can replace the old ones if those cannot tolerate climate change any longer. I think it would be good for maintaining biodiversity and may increase the chances of survival of the remaining species too.

Likes sophiecentaur and BillTre
Ivan Seeking said:
What if all food transportation was carbon neutral?
Aww, just beam it over, Scotty; after all, our di-Hydrogen Oxide fuel is pretty Carbon neutral and they need it Now. :wink::wink:

Tom.G said:
Aww, just beam it over, Scotty; after all, our di-Hydrogen Oxide fuel is pretty Carbon neutral and they need it Now. :wink::wink:
Hydrogen from water isn't an energy source. It is a storage medium. You need energy to make the hydrogen.

Algae converts solar energy, water, and carbon dioxide, directly into a fuel. That makes it an energy source. It is like having solar panels you can grow. But unlike electric energy from solar panels, the fuel from algae can store the energy until we want to use it.

And fuels from algae can only release as much carbon as they absorbed to grow in the first place - net zero carbon

Plants don't absorb much green light. That's why you see it reflected.
I knew that. That is why I want to know what type of materials do NOT absorb them but let them through in use for solar panels. This way we can have an algae farm and a solar farm in literally in the exact same location. Or we could have a solar powered greenhouse.

And if algae have applications for beyond fuel production, all the better, it would only serve to lower the cost. This is nothing new, the same thing happens with oil removed from the ground. Not all of it is used in fuel. Some of it is used for making things like tar and various plastics.

CCatalyst said:
Or we could have a solar powered greenhouse.
I thought they'd always been powered that way. :wink:

CCatalyst said:
That is why I want to know what type of materials do NOT absorb them but let them through in use for solar panels.
I've give this some thoughts, but found nothing. The realistic 'edge' given by such filtering and combining (based on existing materials) is negligible, if not negative.

The theoretical gain is also low. As a research direction, I would rather bet on 'gifting' the missing wavelengths to the algae by some genetic tweaking.

Rive said:
I would rather bet on 'gifting' the missing wavelengths to the algae by some genetic tweaking.
You and every farmer in the world! This is obviously a serious problem or 'they' would have an alternative to chlorophyl already. The photochemistry of solid state devices is probably a lot more approachable so I'd say that's probably the way to go.

This thread is getting further and further away from the DIY idea. Jus' sayin'.

sophiecentaur said:
This thread is getting further and further away from the DIY idea.
Was it ever a "DIY?"

Likes Ivan Seeking and sophiecentaur
Bystander said:
Was it ever a "DIY?"
I'm sure the OP could picture in his mind, a large, shallow plastic pool in his back garden with a little pump house at one end, with a 'processing' machine and a row of barrels - right next to his truck.

I could go for it if my garden was big enough. a lot less trouble than yearly digging and planting veg.

• Haha
Likes Rive
sophiecentaur said:
This thread is getting further and further away from the DIY idea. Jus' sayin'.
This never was appropriate for a DIY project.

Likes Rive and sophiecentaur
Ivan Seeking said:
This never was appropriate for a DIY project.
The problem lies in the topic description. Growing algae is OK for a DIY project - many does that.
But it has nothing to do with saving Earth.

Most DIY is that way, actually. Hobbies rare to come with negative carbon footprint.
And as long one is aware, it's fine.

Likes Ivan Seeking and sophiecentaur
Rive said:
The problem lies in the topic description. Growing algae is OK for a DIY project - many does that.
But it has nothing to do with saving Earth.

Most DIY is that way, actually. Hobbies rare to come with negative carbon footprint.
And as long one is aware, it's fine.
Even so, if you don't know what you're doing you will end up with a big stinky mess.

And yes, the whole point of the thread is saving the planet. I strongly support the use of algae fuels in that effort. But it is useless if not done properly. And that isn't easy or cheap!

CO2 remediation is great too but that needs to be done on vast scales in the deep ocean.

Likes Rive
Ivan Seeking said:
Even so, if you don't know what you're doing you will end up with a big stinky mess.
My first electronics 'project' ended up as a big wiry mess o0)

• Haha
Likes Tom.G and BillTre
Rive said:
My first electronics 'project' ended up as a big wiry mess o0)
And some kids ended up burning down the house. ;)

Likes Rive
Well, I'm happy that this project is ... wet. Compared to some locked ones, it's so safe :smile:

CCatalyst said:
Summary:: I want to save the planet.

So I want to make my own algae tank and use it to absorb carbon dioxide. Any advise and suggestions? And how do I get started?
The best way to get started is to do some reading on the subject. One source is the Biofuel Technology Handbook: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/228735855_Biofuel_technology_handbook. It looks like a good source. I downloaded it several years ago, got as far as page 50, and lost interest in biofuels based on what I read in the book.

Another source that looks good is Sustainable Development of Algal Biofuels in the United States: https://www.nap.edu/catalog/13437/sustainable-development-of-algal-biofuels-in-the-united-states. They have a free download that requires an email. I was able to get a copy by using a fake email address.

jrmichler said:
The best way to get started is to do some reading on the subject. One source is the Biofuel Technology Handbook: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/228735855_Biofuel_technology_handbook. It looks like a good source. I downloaded it several years ago, got as far as page 50, and lost interest in biofuels based on what I read in the book.

Another source that looks good is Sustainable Development of Algal Biofuels in the United States: https://www.nap.edu/catalog/13437/sustainable-development-of-algal-biofuels-in-the-united-states. They have a free download that requires an email. I was able to get a copy by using a fake email address.
Are you implicitly suggesting the OP should grow algae in a tank to absorb CO2? Do you think this has value?