Why does the value of u change with the orientation of the loop?

In summary: I don't understand how Lenz's law works in this situation. Can you explain it to me in a bit more detail?
Drizzy

Homework Statement

https://goo.gl/wifHB3
upload_2016-10-15_6-48-14.png

{Image from: Electricity - Basic Navy Training Courses; NAVPERS 10622}

http://imgur.com/a/Pm2Rl
AC Gen.jpg

Here are two images, the one with colours is from my textbook. I don't understand why u is 0 when the thing inside is parallel with the ground and why is u at its max when the thing inside is vertical? I tried to google it and the first picture says differently

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is how I am thinking: When we go from point A to point B, the area gets smaller and that means φ gets smaller which should mean that u gets smaller not bigger. according to; u=-N dφ/dt

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
As you've noted the induced EMF is proportional to the rate of change of the flux within the loop. Why don't you set up a hypothetical scenario where you have a loop of some area A that is rotating as depicted. Write an expression for the the cross sectional area through which the field would pass as the loop rotates. That would give you a quantity proportional to ##\Phi##. Find ##d\Phi/dt## to confirm or validate what's depicted in the images.

Why is A 0 degrees? It should be 90

Drizzy said:

Homework Statement

https://goo.gl/wifHB3
View attachment 107465
{Image from: Electricity - Basic Navy Training Courses; NAVPERS 10622}

http://imgur.com/a/Pm2Rl
View attachment 107466

Here are two images, the one with colours is from my textbook. I don't understand why u is 0 when the thing inside is parallel with the ground and why is u at its max when the thing inside is vertical? I tried to google it and the first picture says differently

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is how I am thinking: When we go from point A to point B, the area gets smaller and that means φ gets smaller which should mean that u gets smaller not bigger. according to; u=-N dφ/dt
If you look at the google image for the top diagrams you will see that the magnetic field is horizontal. So in effect both diagrams are the same

I have one question, in which direction is the current flowing? I am thinking that the magnetic field is pointed down and the current is flowing into the paper/book

Drizzy said:
I have one question, in which direction is the current flowing? I am thinking that the magnetic field is pointed down and the current is flowing into the paper/book
Apply Lenz's Law.

why can't I use the right hand rule?

Drizzy said:
why can't I use the right hand rule?
You can, to determine the direction of the current that will satisfy Lenz's Law in this situation :smile:

"You can see that the magnetic field lines run vertically. If the coil is also laid vertically, it lays in line with the field lines and don't cut them, so no current is induced. If no current is induced the voltage is 0."

How on Earth can anybody explain that the coil in position A is lined up with the magnetic field lines?

The induced emf is NOT proportional the amount of flux passing through the loop, but to the rate of change of that flux. If the loop was not rotating there would be no emf induced at any angle it was positioned to.

That's why I suggested that you set up an expression for the flux with respect to the angle. Then the derivative of that with respect to time (i.e. the rate of change of the flux) will give you the emf. You will see that the cross sectional area exposed to the flux is proportional to a trig function of the angle...

What is an alternating current generator?

An alternating current (AC) generator is a device that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy by using the principle of electromagnetic induction. It is commonly used to produce electricity in power plants and is the primary source of electricity in most homes and businesses.

How does an alternating current generator work?

An AC generator consists of a rotating magnet (rotor) and a stationary coil of wire (stator). When the magnet rotates, it creates a changing magnetic field that induces an alternating current in the coil. This current is then transmitted through wires to power electrical devices.

What is the difference between AC and DC generators?

The main difference between AC and DC generators is the type of current they produce. AC generators produce alternating current, which periodically changes direction, while DC generators produce direct current, which flows in only one direction.

What are the advantages of using an AC generator?

There are several advantages of using an AC generator, including its ability to be easily stepped up or down in voltage, its ability to be transmitted over long distances without significant power loss, and its compatibility with most electrical devices.

What are the applications of an AC generator?

AC generators are used in various applications, including power generation in power plants, electric motors, household appliances, and electronic devices. They are also commonly used in renewable energy sources such as wind turbines and hydroelectric plants.