Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

America you don't know what you've done.

1. Mar 25, 2003 #1
    When I see the violent and passionate protests against the US right across the Arab world I feel a great dread and sadness at what I know is coming. There will be a level of terrorism that the US has never known. Look at the anger that is building. The anti-American hatred that the US is generating in Arab countries will fuel decades of terrorism. I predict that for years to come there will be many more terrorist attacks on US soil and unfortunately many deaths. If you thought the terrorist attack on 9/11 was bad just watch out. Worse is to come. The US - so much power and so little wisdom.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2003 #2
    Go hide in a closet. We'll let you know when it's over.
  4. Mar 25, 2003 #3

Staff: Mentor

Lol, Alias. I won't tell him if you don't...
  5. Mar 25, 2003 #4
    Sometimes I wonder why I bother caring.
  6. Mar 25, 2003 #5
    Caring is fine and noble. I think that most of us actually do. The problem is that caring alone isn't enough. What is worse, is caring about those that don't give a crap about you. This is where people at this forum seem to have a problem.

Not all people are good, just because they are human. Some people are bad. Some people have no consideration for their fellow humans and never will. These people are best left alone. Unfortunately, sometimes these people wish to impose their will on you, your friends or your family. When this happens, it is necessary to act. And yes sometimes when you act, it is like agitating a hornets nest. Things sometimes become more difficult. But that's life. You deal with the threat, absorb your loses, and move on.

Of course, when dealing with dangerous human beings, you have a couple of options. One method is to imprison, rehabilitate, and then release. Another is to kill. Sometimes the former is not effective. That leaves us with the latter. Sadam, his followers, and every anti-western terrorist falls under the last category. The best thing that can be done, for the sake of humanity, is to kill these people. I know it sounds harsh, but it is the only viable alternative.
  7. Mar 25, 2003 #6
    Alias, the question is, how far do you go? Do you resort to genocide so you can feel safe against an attack that will likely not affect you personally? You cannot fight terrorism with killing,because it simply creates more terrorism...THAT'S THE POINT OF TERRORISM! Terrorism, in part, is designed to force teh very reaction you advocate. You have the makings of a terrorist supporter in your own way, whether you know it or not.
  8. Mar 25, 2003 #7
    I disagree. It's like fighting gangs in LA. You kill one gang member, you're in trouble. You kill all of them, you own the turf.

Of course, I understand it is not as simple as that, but it's a start.

Question: Do you think that Usama Bin Laden would stand down his fighters if the US military pulled out of Saudi Arabia, and the US stopped supporting Israel? (Disregard the current conflict in Iraq)
  9. Mar 25, 2003 #8
    No, it isn't a start....it is a recipe for more violence. Will you kill a man's children, to make sure they don't grow up hating you for killing their father? Will you show 'mercy' by sterilizing their wives and daughters?
  10. Mar 25, 2003 #9
    You can't not punish people for doing the wrong thing because it might make them angry.

So what's your solution to terrorism?

Oh, and answer my Bin Laden question!?!!?!??!
  11. Mar 25, 2003 #10
    Hmmmm....is revenge the most important thing in your mind? Is it worth destroying entire cultures for the sake of vengence? And who are you going to punish, exactly? That is one of teh points of terrorism; no uniforms, not central organization, no one to punish.
  12. Mar 25, 2003 #11
    No. Defense is the most important.

How would you handle it?

And what about this question...

Do you think that Usama Bin Laden would stand down his fighters if the US military pulled out of Saudi Arabia, and the US stopped supporting Israel? (Disregard the current conflict in Iraq)
  13. Mar 25, 2003 #12
    I can't tell you what Bin Laden would do...I'm not a TV psychic.

I can tell you that defense and mass murder are not the same thing. You seem to suggest that we should simply gun down people who disagree with U.S. policies, on the grounds that some of them might be terrorists.
  14. Mar 25, 2003 #13
    Alias, First of all I support this war against Saddam Hussein. I think it's the right thing to do and I think the world will come around eventually and agree that eliminating Saddam and his leadership was an act of liberation.

However, you can't simply dismiss the war critics as cowards and bleeding heart liberals. They have a point when they say that anti-American sentiment is being fuelled and that the world could become less safe as a result of the war. There are huge costs to consider, for instance losses of business income as a result of American reluctance to travel abroad, damage to relations with our allies, future mistrust of America and its motives, etc, etc.

When the war is over, there will have to be reconstruction and diplomacy, not just in Iraq but between the USA and France, Germany, and so on. American isolationism would be pointless.

The peace protesters should understand too that the time for their efforts is not simply in times of war but they should be doing their bit by whatever means available to stop thugs and tyrants coming to power. War is not only a failing of politics and diplomacy, it is also a sign of the failure of the peace movement in finding ways to be active and constructive in global politics. It is so easy and lazy to demonstrate when war has started. What are these folks doing in peace time to keep the peace?

So please, Alias, a complete picture is needed. Military might couple with diplomacy and enlightened leadership are required.
  15. Mar 25, 2003 #14

You are mostly correct.

However, when it comes to terrorists that hate Americans, and activly try to kill them, there is only one correct response. That response is to kill them. If that makes other people hate and want to kill Americans as well, then I say kill them too. Let the cycle continue as long is it must until people realize that trying to kill Americans will only bring them death. I firmly beleive that at some point, people will get the message.

My main argument with the left is, they rarely have a viable solution and mostly consume time, resources, and sometimes human life with their complaints.
  16. Mar 25, 2003 #15
    Alias, I agree with you. Even if a direct link between Al Qaeda and Saddam is yet to be proved, I don't need evidence of the link in order to support the war. Saddam is a brutal dictator who maims, tortures, gases and murders the citizens of his own country. He should and will be removed.
  17. Mar 25, 2003 #16
    Think for a minute. Afghanistan "hated" us because the women couldn't speak out and the men were forced into terror training centers or else forced to work. Now Afghanistan loves us. They have been doing well. The same will be for Iraq. THey hate saddam but are forced to live under his rule and everyone else was too much of a WIMP to do anything.

How do you know?

stick that your ear.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2003
  18. Mar 25, 2003 #17

Science Advisor

The point that I can help noticing is that the Trade Center Massacre happened while we were at peace. And look what it got us. Hoping that if we left them alone, they would leave us alone and adopting a "live in let live" stance resulted in those attacks.

Immediately after the attacks, an Arab businessman made the comment, "perhaps the U.S. should rethink its policies in the Middle East".

Perhaps we have.
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2003
  19. Mar 25, 2003 #18
    I love how the "liberals" are always advocating peace but never offering any viable alternatives. Do you honestly believe if we love Saddam enough and send some white doves flying over Iraq things will be ok? Zero, do you have any bright ideas about what could be done?

Because all I've seen from people who think like you is a few semi-hostile (and pointless) protests about the war which did nothing but give people without jobs something to do and waste even more government money.

I do support the war because I think the US is going about things fairly carefully - I wouldn't condone a straight bombing, but I'm sick of liberals doing _nothing_ but whining and worshipping Tom Daschle.
  20. Mar 25, 2003 #19
    Who is Tom Daschle? Is he someone I should know about? May I make puns from his name?
  21. Mar 25, 2003 #20
    ^^^ Tom Daschle is a US Senator; he's the Democratic minority leader.

It's begging the question to ask "well what other solutions than war do you have to get rid of Saddam?" What if I said "China/North Korea/the USSR is a repressive dictatorship, how else will we get rid of it besides war???" Maybe there's no other way, but should we invade China? Hell no.

A better question is "will a war to remove Saddam do more harm than good?" Anti-war people often (not always) think the answer to this is no.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?