What is the Magnetic Field Around a Thin Walled Circular Conductor?

• Thread starter Brewer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary, using Ampere's circuital law, we can find the magnetic field B at a distance r away from the axis of a thin-walled circular hollow conductor of radius a and carrying a current I. Inside the conductor (r < a), B = 0 since the enclosed current is 0. Outside the conductor (r > a), the magnetic field is constant and can be calculated using the equation B = \frac{\mu_0 I}{2\pi r}. This assumes that the conductor is a circular loop, not a spherical shell.
Brewer

Homework Statement

Using Ampere's circuital law, or otherwise, find the magnetic field B a distance r away from the axis of a thin walled circular hollow conductor of radius a and carrying a current I.

Homework Equations

[tex]\oint_L B\cdot dL = \mu_0I_{enclosed}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I have said:
the conductor is a hoop. As a result inside the hoop (i.e. r<a) B=0 as [tex]I_{enc}[/tex]=0.

However I am confused as to what line I should take to work out B when r>a. Does the system act like a long straight line (albeit in a circle) and the B-field is a loop around the hoop (cancelling out in the middle, and thus obtaining the same result for r<a), or is it some other shape all together?

Physics news on Phys.org
Outside the spherical shell, the magnetic field at a given point is constant. Therefore, [tex]B\oint dl=\mu_0 I_{enclosed}[/tex]. This would give you [tex]B=\frac{\mu_0 I_{enclosed}}{4\pi r^2}[/tex].

Its not a spherical shell is it? I read it as just a circular loop.

I think after a bit of playing with the numbers I get [tex]B = \frac{\mu_o I}{2\pi r}[/tex]

How can a circular loop be hollow? As far as I can see, its a spherical shell. However, if it is a circular loop, you would be correct.

It would just be a hoop as opposed to a flat disc.

1. What is Ampere's Circuital Law?

Ampere's Circuital Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the magnetic field around a closed loop to the electric current passing through the loop. It states that the line integral of the magnetic field around a closed loop is equal to the permeability times the total current passing through the loop.

2. Who discovered Ampere's Circuital Law?

Ampere's Circuital Law was first discovered by French physicist André-Marie Ampere in 1826. It was later refined and modified by other scientists such as Maxwell and Gauss.

3. What is the significance of Ampere's Circuital Law?

Ampere's Circuital Law is significant because it provides a mathematical relationship between electric currents and magnetic fields, which are two fundamental components of electromagnetism. It also helps in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic devices such as motors, generators, and transformers.

4. Can Ampere's Circuital Law be applied to all types of currents?

Yes, Ampere's Circuital Law can be applied to all types of currents, including steady currents, time-varying currents, and even non-uniform currents. However, for non-uniform currents, the law needs to be modified using the concept of displacement current.

5. How is Ampere's Circuital Law related to Gauss's Law for magnetism?

Ampere's Circuital Law and Gauss's Law for magnetism are two different laws that describe different aspects of electromagnetism. While Ampere's law relates the magnetic field to electric currents, Gauss's law for magnetism relates the magnetic field to the sources of magnetic field, which are magnetic charges or monopoles. However, in certain situations where there are no time-varying electric fields, both laws can be combined to form the more general form of Maxwell's equations.