1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ampere's Circuital Law

1. Apr 25, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Using Ampere's circuital law, or otherwise, find the magnetic field B a distance r away from the axis of a thin walled circular hollow conductor of radius a and carrying a current I.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\oint_L B\cdot dL = \mu_0I_{enclosed}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    So far I have said:
    the conductor is a hoop. As a result inside the hoop (i.e. r<a) B=0 as [tex]I_{enc}[/tex]=0.

However I am confused as to what line I should take to work out B when r>a. Does the system act like a long straight line (albeit in a circle) and the B-field is a loop around the hoop (cancelling out in the middle, and thus obtaining the same result for r<a), or is it some other shape all together?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2007 #2
    Outside the spherical shell, the magnetic field at a given point is constant. Therefore, [tex]B\oint dl=\mu_0 I_{enclosed}[/tex]. This would give you [tex]B=\frac{\mu_0 I_{enclosed}}{4\pi r^2}[/tex].
  4. Apr 25, 2007 #3
    Its not a spherical shell is it? I read it as just a circular loop.

I think after a bit of playing with the numbers I get [tex]B = \frac{\mu_o I}{2\pi r}[/tex]
  5. Apr 25, 2007 #4
    How can a circular loop be hollow? As far as I can see, its a spherical shell. However, if it is a circular loop, you would be correct.
  6. Apr 25, 2007 #5
    It would just be a hoop as opposed to a flat disc.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?