Ampere's Law physical significance

In summary, the dot product of B and ds in the context of Maxwell's equations for magnetostatics serves as a relation between the magnetic field and the enclosed current, and is derived from Stokes' theorem. This is analogous to Gauss' law for electric fields, but cannot be applied to magnetism due to the lack of a magnetic monopole. Ampere's law is based on the symmetry of magnetic fields and can be thought of as a more elegant version of Biot-Savart's law. It is derived from the tangential nature of magnetic fields and the relation between the magnetic field and current.
member 392791
Hello,

I am confused as to the physical significance of the dot product of B and ds. Why would we evaluate this scalar product. My textbook has it on here without any motivation for it.

Also, why is the analogous gauss' law used with flux, yet magnetic flux doesn't use amperes law?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maxwell's equations for magnetostatics give us, assuming non-existence of magnetic charges, ##\nabla\cdot B = 0, \nabla\times B = \mu_{0}J## with the latter of the two being Ampere's law; the differential form of Ampere's law is, in my opinion, very visual so hopefully you can easily gleam some physical intuition just by looking at it. Given a portion of the current density within a region of compact support, we can use Stokes' theorem to write this as ##\int (\nabla\times B)\cdot dA = \oint B\cdot dl = \mu_{0}\int J\cdot dA = \mu_{0}I_{\text{enclosed}}## giving us the usual integral form of Ampere's law. As you can see, the dot product comes right out of Stokes' theorem applied to the differential form of Ampere's law. It gives us a relation between the magnetic field around some closed path to the enclosed current passing through the path.

Magnetic flux, under the assumption of no magnetic charges, will vanish identically as you can see by applying the divergence theorem to the other of the two magnetostatic equations: ##\int (\nabla\cdot B )dV = 0 = \int B\cdot dA##. Why should it be related to Ampere's law in the manner of which you speak?

Last edited:
I don't have enough math background as of right now to have a physical intuition for stoke's theorem or differential forms of ampere's law. I'm just taking the intro class for E&M. I was saying a physical significance, because I don't understand math as much, just something conceptually to soothe me.

I don't understand most of your post.

Woopydalan said:
I don't have enough math background as of right now to have a physical intuition for stoke's theorem or differential forms of ampere's law. I'm just taking the intro class for E&M. I was saying a physical significance, because I don't understand math as much, just something conceptually to soothe me.

Which part don't you understand? We can give you suitable references if you want.

I don't understand what ∮B⋅dl means.

Woopydalan said:
I don't understand what ∮B⋅dl means.

Well do you understand this sign : ∮ ?

I recommend you do a reading of this topic from a good textbook.

Woopydalan said:

if you don't have enough math background, you will not be able to understand most of EM. you need to atleast know vector calculus. Isn't vector calculus a prerequisite for your EM course? Do you understand line, surface and volume integrals?

The textbook uses the term line integral, but the way its treated, it seems to be the exact same thing as any other integral. So they'll say something like "do this line integral" then they integrate an expression just as normal. Yes I know what closed line integral means.

First of all you need to understand that Ampere's law is Biot-Savart's law applied in problems where there is an underlying symmetry => thus the physics is the same , yet the math is more beautiful and elegant leading to well phrased physics results.

There is a heuristic way to present the topic :
the idea is simple:
Electric field, E has a source =>q
By analogy, magnetic field has a source => I

From the experiments conducted, we know that the magnetic field of an infinite wire cannot be radial (starting from the source and going outwards (as the electric field of a point charge).
We also know that it cannot be collinear with the current.
This leaves only the phi-component of the field => a.k.a the field is tangential.
(If you want a real derivation on this I suggest that you check R.Griffiths's Electrodynamics ,especially the part that explains magnetism from a relativistic point of view).

So far : B~I
This is not the only analogy between B and E.
the field is not uniform-> it decreases with distance (something like E)
Therefore we expect:
B~I/r

Now Ampere's law states the following.
If you go to a distance r from the wire, and draw a circle, the magnetic field will be the same in each point of the circle (since I,r are the same).
since B~I/r=> I~Br

To get the units right: μοΙ ~Βr

Now, I is a scalar, B is not, r is not either. If you take B X r you get a vector (non zero).=>Not what you want.
If you take B . r you get a scalar (zero).

Thus the best way to act is to take a unit vector dS tangential to the 'circle' where the field is tangential and do the dot product between B,dS.
Then you have:
B . dS =>scalar, non zero.

So far so good.

Now what remains is to think that the enclosed current , I, produces the magnetic field over the whole circle:
Thus you have to add the B.dS components to reproduce the current.
That's what the line integral does.

Therefore : μοΙ = ∮ Β.dS

Of course as I said this explanation is heuristic and has MANY bugs. At least I hope that I have explained the dot product properly.

Now, about Gauss's law and Ampere's law you are talking about two different things.
Gauss's law is based on the fact that there is an 'electric monopole' (the electric charge), whereas there is not such thing for magnetism.
Gauss's law states that the electric flux coming out from a surface around the source is equal to the one produced. No source => no way to apply such a law in magnetism.

how about surface and volume integrals? do i have to keep repeating my questions?

Woopydalan said:
The textbook uses the term line integral, but the way its treated, it seems to be the exact same thing as any other integral. So they'll say something like "do this line integral" then they integrate an expression just as normal. Yes I know what closed line integral means.
Yes. It is just the usual line integral, but also, with the specification that the start and end point are the same. So you could just write this in the limits of the integral, but writing the little loop is just a more convenient way.

I was not sure what the [itex]\oint[/itex] meant for a while, haha, I think the lecturer had forgotten to explain what it meant. I connected the dots when he kept drawing loops, rather than just curves. Also, I guess 'closed line integral' the hint is in the name.

edit: and also, that three dots thing that physicists use to say 'therefore'. So in my first term of first year undergraduate, I was like 'what the **** is that thing he keeps drawing on the board?...' I guess I should have just put my hand up and asked, but you know what it is like when you are new, and you don't want to look like you are not as smart as everyone else, haha good times.

Dear physwizard,
you questions were:
- I am confused as to the physical significance of the dot product of B and ds. Why would we evaluate this scalar product. My textbook has it on here without any motivation for it.

- was saying a physical significance, because I don't understand math as much, just something conceptually to soothe me.

I tried to explain in conceptual terms the problem you asked. What is it exactly that you did NOT comprehend?

Hello e.chaniotakis. Thank you for taking the time to respond (physwizard is not the OP)

From what I gathered from your post, the physicists tweaked the math to fit what they found experimentally. Explaining it in such a way as "well they had to do this because doing it gave the right results" doesn't really give me that soothing feeling that I am still seeking, more of just them doing it because it works.

That's how (theoretical) physics works! Everything we know in physics (and all natural sciences by the way) comes from observations in nature. Then one tries to find a mathematical scheme, where you start with as general assumptions as possible to predict any phenomena related with the subject of these fundamental natural rules.

In the case of electromagnetics this set of rules are the (microscopic) Maxwell equations in differential form. They are, to the best of our knowledge, the general laws, from which you can derive all phenomena related with electromagnetism, except the cases where quantum theory is necessary for a refined description. So Maxwell's equations are the general laws of classical electromagnetism.

Usually, they are written in terms of three-dimensional Euclidean vector calculus, relating the electric and magnetic components [itex]\vec{E}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{B}[/itex] of the electromagnetic field among each other (homogeneous Maxwell equations) and to the electric charges and currents (inhomogeneous Maxwell equations). Later, you'll learn that behind this complicated looking set of equations there are quite simple laws, when rewritten in relativistically covariant form. However, first you have to learn about three-dimensional vector calculus, i.e., the differential operator [itex]\vec{\nabla}[/itex] and the integral theorems by Stokes and Gauß. Then, you'll see that all the manipulations with line, surface and volume integrals make a lot of sense.

e.chaniotakis said:
Dear physwizard,
you questions were:
- I am confused as to the physical significance of the dot product of B and ds. Why would we evaluate this scalar product. My textbook has it on here without any motivation for it.

- was saying a physical significance, because I don't understand math as much, just something conceptually to soothe me.

I tried to explain in conceptual terms the problem you asked. What is it exactly that you did NOT comprehend?
hi. okay, probably there is some confusion here. my question was not directed to you. my question was directed to the original person who asked the question - woopydalan. i had asked him if he understood line, surface, and volume integrals. he replied saying that he understood line integrals. he did not make any mention about whether he understood surface and volume integrals or not. that's why i asked him that question again and whether i needed to keep repeating my questions.
@woopydalan :
please make an attempt to answer all parts of the question. unless you communicate how much math you actually know, it is going to be that much more difficult to answer your original question.

Last edited:
physwizard, woopydalan sorry ,messed up the names:P

Woopydalan, the fundamental 'observation' is that the magnetic field appears when we have charges with nonzero velocity and that it 'circles' the charges' trajectory. The circles grow sparser as distance from the moving charges increase.
Ampere experimented with various geometries of current loops to figure out an underlying symmetry - and he did - . Finally his law was expressed.

Same goes with Gauss's law for electrostatics. The fundamental observation is that there is a source (charge) which excerts a force on other charges. The force is proportional to the charge and grows weaker as distance increases.
Gauss's law is a convenient way to express the physics content in an elegant way when the problem has an underlying symmetry.

So here we have a 'crossroad'. Is it the physics that you seek to comprehend better, or the math that we use?

What is Ampere's Law and what is its physical significance?

Ampere's Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that describes the relationship between the electric current flowing through a closed loop and the magnetic field it produces. Its physical significance is that it provides a quantitative way to calculate the strength of the magnetic field at a given point due to a current-carrying wire or a set of wires.

How is Ampere's Law different from Gauss's Law?

Ampere's Law is used to calculate the magnetic field due to a current, while Gauss's Law is used to calculate the electric field due to a distribution of electric charges. Ampere's Law is based on the concept of a closed loop, while Gauss's Law is based on a closed surface.

What is the mathematical form of Ampere's Law?

Ampere's Law is often written as ∮CB•dl = μ0I, where ∮C is the line integral around the closed loop, B is the magnetic field, dl is an element of length along the loop, μ0 is the permeability of free space, and I is the current enclosed by the loop.

What is the significance of the constant μ0 in Ampere's Law?

The constant μ0 is known as the permeability of free space and is a measure of how easily a material can be magnetized. Its value is approximately 4π x 10-7 N/A2 in SI units. It is a fundamental constant in electromagnetism and is often used in calculations involving magnetic fields.

Can Ampere's Law be applied to all situations involving electric currents?

No, Ampere's Law is only valid in situations where the magnetic field is constant and the current is steady. It cannot be applied to situations where the current or the magnetic field is changing over time, as well as situations involving non-uniform magnetic fields.