Amplifier phase difference

In summary, the phase difference in a single stage transistor amplifier circuit depends on the configuration of the transistor. A common emitter configuration will have a 180 degree phase difference, while a common collector configuration will have a 0 degree phase difference. This is due to the way the transistor responds to changes in voltage at the base, causing opposite changes in voltage at the collector.
amaresh92
greetings,

i wonder if anyone could tell me that how and why there is 180 phase shift in single stage transistor amplifier circuit?

Engineering news on Phys.org
First I recommend reading this thread.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=401308&highlight=transistor

The answer to your question is that the phase difference depends upon the configuration of the transistor.

Common Emitter (output form the collector) amplifiers have a 180 deg phase difference

Common Collector (output form the emitter) amplifiers are in phase ( = 0 phase difference)

The phase difference occurs because raising the base voltage or applying a positive going voltage to the base causes the collector voltage to fall, as outlined in the referenced thread.

Conversely the emitter voltage rises, to maintain the base emittter voltage which is theoretically constant.

One type of phase splitter is to take two outputs; one (in phase) from the collector and one (reverse phase) from the collector.

amaresh92 said:
greetings,

i wonder if anyone could tell me that how and why there is 180 phase shift in single stage transistor amplifier circuit?

Asumming it is a NPN transistor. Let the emitter resistor R1 be 1K to ground and bias the base to 1.7V. The R1 will have 1V drop and set up the emitter current to be 1mA. Let the collector resistor R2 be 2K and connect the collector through R2 to Vcc=6V. The collector voltage then will be 6V-2V(1mA into 2K)=+4V. You follow that?

Then if I drive +0.5V extra into the base (1.7+0.5=2.2V), then the emitter voltage become 1.5V (0.5V increase). This make the emitter current 1.5mA. In turn the collector current will increase to 1.5mA.

Now let's look at the voltage at the collector. 1.5mA across 2K give 3V. Therefore the collector voltage will be 6-3=3V.

SO by increasing the base voltage by +0.5V, the collector voltage drop by 1V or the collector volt change by -1V. You see the the voltage move opposite direction or 180 degree off phase? And the gain is -2

[tex] G=\frac{-1}{0.5}=-2[/tex].

1. What is an amplifier phase difference?

The amplifier phase difference refers to the difference in phase between the input and output signals of an amplifier. It is measured in degrees and is a result of the time delay in the amplifier's response to the input signal.

2. How does the amplifier phase difference affect the output signal?

The amplifier phase difference can affect the amplitude and frequency of the output signal. This can result in distortion or changes in the signal's shape, which can impact the overall performance of the amplifier and the accuracy of the output signal.

3. What causes amplifier phase difference?

Amplifier phase difference is caused by the internal components and design of the amplifier. The amplifier's circuitry and components, such as capacitors and resistors, can introduce time delays in the signal, which results in a phase difference between the input and output signals.

4. How is amplifier phase difference measured?

The amplifier phase difference can be measured by using an oscilloscope or a phase meter. The input and output signals are compared, and the phase difference is calculated in degrees. This measurement is important for understanding the performance of the amplifier and for making adjustments to minimize phase difference.

5. How can amplifier phase difference be reduced?

To reduce amplifier phase difference, careful consideration must be given to the design and components of the amplifier. Using high-quality components and minimizing the length of the signal path can help reduce time delays and, therefore, minimize phase difference. Additionally, proper tuning and adjustment of the amplifier can also help reduce phase difference.