Solving a Physics Homework Problem with Sin^n Integration

In summary, the conversation was about solving a physics question involving integration and using trigonometric identities to simplify the integral. The conversation covers finding the integral of sin^3 x and reducing it to sin^2 x, using the trigonometric sum identities, and normalizing the wave function. The conversation also includes a discussion about squaring each component of the wave function and a clarification on how to approach the problem.
vorcil

Homework Statement

Please I am just going to list the question then show my solving, It is a physics question but I need help on integration, on parts of the question, thank you

quesiton:

A particle in the infinite square well, (i.e [tex] V(x) = \left{ \begin{array}{ccc} 0 & \textrm({ if 0 <= x <= a} \\ \infty & otherwise \end{array}\right [/tex]
has the initial wave function

[tex] \Psi(x,0) = Asin^3(\frac{\pi x}{a} \textrm{ for (0<=x<=a) } [/tex]

Determine A, find [tex] \Psi(x,t) \textrm{ and calculate <x> as a function of time, what is the expectation value of the energy? (hint: sin^n \theta and cos^n \theta can be reducted by repeated application of trigonometric sum formulas, to linear combinatiosn of sin(m\theta) and cos(m\theta), with m = 0,1,2...n }
[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex] 1 = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} |\Psi(x,0)|^2 dx [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt, well first I normalize it,

so the solution to the question is,[tex] \int_0^a |A sin^3(\frac{\pi x}{a}|^2 = 1 [/tex]

now this brings up something I do not know how to solve,
since the sin would go to the ^6 power

I was told by my course instructor that there are many ways to solve integrals of this type,
and the question states Sin^n theta can be reduced by repeated application of the trigonometric sum formulas, to linear combinations of sin

so I have to use some trigonometric identities to solve/simplify the integral basically

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Ok, so what is the problem you are having? Look up the trigonometric sum formulas and find one that matches sine squared.

I need to know the integral of sin^3 x

to reduce it to sin^2

[tex] \int sin^3x dx = \int [(sin^2 x dx)(sin x) [/tex]

umm

using the trigonometric identity (the only one I know, [tex] sin^2 x + cos^2 x = 1 [/tex]

I'm going to substitute in [tex] 1-cos^2 x = sin^2x [/tex]

so uh, [tex] sin^3 x = (1-cos^2 x) sin x [/tex]

can I just move the sin to the other side? so it cancels out and becomes

[tex] \frac{sin^3 x}{sin x} = (1-cos^2 x) [/tex]
[tex] sin^2 x = 1-cos^2x [/tex]

oh wow, it works and just becomes the trig identity lol
jeese well that's helpful
yesssssss

now i make it simplier?

The problem in your original post had a sine squared, now you're working on sine cubed...which is it?

The hint you posted says use the trig sum identities. If you don't know them, look them up.

so my equation

[tex] \int_0^a sin^3\frac{\pi x}{a} [/tex]

[tex] \int_0^a sin^2(\frac{\pi x}{a} = \int_0^a (1-cos^2\frac{\pi x}{a} ) [/tex]

now I need to find a trig identity for sin^2 x to make it simplier

darkchild said:
The problem in your original post had a sine squared, now you're working on sine cubed...which is it?

The hint you posted says use the trig sum identities. If you don't know them, look them up.

Sorry it was a typo

it was A sin^3 x

vorcil said:
so my equation

[tex] \int_0^a sin^3\frac{\pi x}{a} [/tex]

[tex] \int_0^a sin^2(\frac{\pi x}{a} = \int_0^a (1-cos^2\frac{\pi x}{a} ) [/tex]

now I need to find a trig identity for sin^2 x to make it simplier

You're confusing yourself. LOOK UP THE TRIGONOMETRIC SUM IDENTITIES.

[tex]
\int_0^a sin^2(\frac{\pi x}{a}) = \int_0^a (1-cos^2(\frac{\pi x}{a} ))
[/tex]

Normalizing the wave function,
[tex] \int_0^a \left| (1-cos^2(\frac{\pi x}{a})) \right|^2 =1 [/tex]

i'm lost I've done something wrong

i'm going to restart and do it properly

Found a trigonometric identity that I like

[tex] sin 3\theta =3sin\theta -4sin^3 \theta [/tex]

letting theta be my [tex] \frac{\pi x}{a} [/tex]

[tex] sin 3(\frac{\pi x}{a}) = 3sin(\frac{pi x}{a})[/tex]

re arranging it so sin^3 theta is the subject

adding 4 sin^3 theta to each side

[tex] sin 3\theta + 4sin^3 \theta = 3sin\theta [/tex]

subtracting sin 3 theta from each side

[tex] 4sin^3 \theta = 3sin\theta - sin 3\theta [/tex]

diving the both sides by 4

[tex] sin^3 \theta = \frac{3}{4} sin\theta - \frac{1/4}sin 3\theta [/tex]

plugging back in my theta value I get

[tex] sin^3 (\frac{\pi x}{a}) = \frac{3}{4}sin(\frac{\pi x}{a}) - \frac{1}{4} sin 3 (\frac{\pi x}{a}) [/tex]

ok that seems better

Last edited:

now to normalize this wave function, I square it, and the absolute value =1

[tex] \int_0^a \left| sin^3 (\frac{\pi x}{a}) \right|^2 dx= \left| \int_0^a \frac{3}{4}sin(\frac{\pi x}{a}) - \frac{1}{\4} sin 3 (\frac{\pi x}{a}) \right|^2 dx = 1[/tex]

squaring each of the components
Can someone check this part please, not sure how squaring in this context works

[tex] \left( \frac{3}{4}sin(\frac{\pi x}{a}) - \frac{1}{\4} sin 3 (\frac{\pi x}{a}) \right)^2 [/tex]
=
[tex] \left( \frac{3}{4}sin^2(\frac{\pi x}{a})\right) - \left( \frac{1}{4} sin^2 (\frac{3\pi x}{a}) \right) [/tex]
(can I just square the sin part? and leave the coefficients i.e 3/4 and 1/4 constant? without squaring them? )

Hint:

[tex](a+b)^2=a^2+b^2+2ab[/tex]

[tex] \left( \frac{3}{4}sin{\frac{\pi x}{a}} - \frac{1}{4}sin{3\frac{\pi x}{a} \right)^2 [/tex]

=

[tex] \left( \frac{3}{4}sin{\frac{\pi x}{a}} - \frac{1}{4}sin{3\frac{\pi x}{a} \right)\left( \frac{3}{4}sin{\frac{\pi x}{a}} - \frac{1}{4}sin{3\frac{\pi x}{a} \right) [/tex]

=

[tex] \left( \frac{3}{4}\frac{3}{4} sin^2{\frac{\pi x}{a} \right) + \left( \frac{1}{4}\frac{1}{4}sin^2 (3*3(\frac{\pi x}{a} ) ) \right) -2\left(\frac{1}{4}\frac{3}{4}sin^2 (3\frac{\pi x}{a} \right) [/tex]

=

[tex] \left( \frac{9}{14}sin^2 {\frac{\pi x}{a} \right) + \left( \frac{1}{16}sin^2 9\frac{\pi x}{a} \right) -2\left(\frac{3}{16} sin^2 3\frac{\pi x}{a} \right) [/tex]

so my equation is

[tex] 1 = A^2 \int_0^a \left[ \left( \frac{9}{14}sin^2 {\frac{\pi x}{a} \right) + \left( \frac{1}{16}sin^2 9\frac{\pi x}{a} \right) -2\left(\frac{3}{16} sin^2 3\frac{\pi x}{a} \right) \right]dx [/tex]

what do I do from here?

1. What is the concept of "Sin^n integration" in physics?

"Sin^n integration" refers to the process of integrating a function that contains a sine term raised to a power, such as sin^2x or sin^3x. This type of integration often arises in physics problems involving oscillatory motion or waves.

2. How do I approach solving a physics homework problem with sin^n integration?

First, identify the integral as a sin^n function. Then, use trigonometric identities to rewrite the function in a more manageable form. From there, you can use integration techniques such as substitution or integration by parts to solve the integral.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a physics problem with sin^n integration?

One common mistake is forgetting to use the proper trigonometric identities to simplify the integral. Another mistake is not paying attention to the limits of integration, which can result in an incorrect answer. It is also important to double check your work and make sure you have correctly applied integration techniques.

4. Are there any tips for tackling more challenging physics problems involving sin^n integration?

Yes, it can be helpful to break down the problem into smaller parts and work on each part separately. Also, make sure to check your answer by differentiating it to see if it matches the original function. Additionally, practicing more problems and familiarizing yourself with various integration techniques can improve your skills in solving these types of problems.

5. How can understanding sin^n integration be useful in physics?

Understanding sin^n integration can be useful in various areas of physics, such as analyzing oscillatory motion and wave phenomena. It also allows for the evaluation of complex integrals that may arise in other areas of physics. Additionally, it helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are important in all areas of science.