Analyzing Oscillations of a Metal Semi-cylinder

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of replicating a rocking semi-cylinder for analytic mechanics without having the necessary materials. The speaker suggests contacting a machine shop that does shaft work and searching for "half round bar" as a possible solution. They also mention the possibility of finding something off-the-shelf depending on dimensions and precision needed.
sdefresco
TL;DR Summary
I'm unsure where I might find such an object for the precision I'm looking for. Ideally, it'd come with known dimensions (density, mass, length-dimensions, etc).
I want to replicate the rocking semi-cylinder problem from analytic mechanics, but don't actually have in my possession a nice, solid cylinder to rock. I imagine my professor likely made his, or found it somewhere in Estonia. If anyone can point me to place where I might be able to find one for purchase, that would be nice.

Attachments

• download.png
    download.png
    19.3 KB · Views: 376
Physics news on Phys.org
I would suggest contacting a machine shop that does shaft work. They should have precision shaft material that can be cut to length and split. The key will be what tolerances you can work with.

• Informative
Likes Asymptotic and anorlunda
Search for "half round bar". For example, https://www.mcmaster.com/half-rounds
You might have success finding something off-the-shelf depending on dimensions and precision required.

Likes ChemAir

1. What is the purpose of analyzing oscillations of a metal semi-cylinder?

The purpose of analyzing oscillations of a metal semi-cylinder is to understand its behavior when subjected to vibrations or oscillations. This information can be used to design more efficient and stable structures or to troubleshoot any potential issues.

2. How do you measure the oscillations of a metal semi-cylinder?

The oscillations of a metal semi-cylinder can be measured using various methods such as strain gauges, accelerometers, or laser displacement sensors. These instruments can accurately capture the vibrations and provide data for analysis.

3. What factors can affect the oscillations of a metal semi-cylinder?

The oscillations of a metal semi-cylinder can be affected by various factors such as the material properties, dimensions, applied load, and boundary conditions. Any changes in these factors can significantly impact the behavior of the semi-cylinder during oscillations.

4. How do you analyze the data collected from the oscillations of a metal semi-cylinder?

The data collected from the oscillations of a metal semi-cylinder can be analyzed using techniques such as frequency analysis, time-domain analysis, and modal analysis. These methods help to identify the natural frequencies, mode shapes, and damping characteristics of the semi-cylinder.

5. What are the practical applications of analyzing oscillations of a metal semi-cylinder?

The analysis of oscillations in a metal semi-cylinder has various practical applications, such as in structural engineering, mechanical design, and failure analysis. It can also be used in industries such as automotive, aerospace, and manufacturing to improve the performance and reliability of structures and components.